drum to disc O.E issue

-
i would post a want ad, but at the moment i dont have money for em, seein as id have to pay a few hundred (my assumption). i just want to know where i could find this kind of set up. if someone were to have exactly what i need i would want them to hang onto it for me but whats the likelyhood they would trust id get the money?

It may be a while, but I'll be swapping my 10" drums with sbp from my '69 front and rear to lbp disks/drums sometime this year or next. It may be too long for your likeing.

I won't need the 8.75 sbp axles either.

well considering i have only enough money for gas insurance and food, i cannot afford to buy new wheels tires and convert to lbp at all... i need to stick with what i have. unless it was cheaper and quicker to do lbp i dnt see why i would bother

in any case i wont be doin any swaps for a few years, gotta wait till i get a better job and a 2nd car so that i can put the dart aside for the real tear down and restore

well considering i have only enough money for gas insurance and food, i cannot afford to buy new wheels tires and convert to lbp at all... i need to stick with what i have. unless it was cheaper and quicker to do lbp i dnt see why i would bother

in any case i wont be doin any swaps for a few years, gotta wait till i get a better job and a 2nd car so that i can put the dart aside for the real tear down and restore

I'm running bbp front and sbp rear until I can get the rear end swapped out... I just needed to STOP when I pushed the pedal. With used parts I could have done it for a little over $100. But I upgraded stuff while I had it apart... Snowball effect. :read2:

All 8.25 rear ends had a 4.5" bolt circle. Starting in 73 the 8.25 replaced the 8.75 as the a-body heavy duty rear end. It could be had with cars with disk front brakes or v8 cars with 10" drums either case the bolt circle was 4.5". Only cars with the 9" drums had the sbp, if the 8.25 was ordered it required a brake upgrade which also came withe the big bolt circle.

I stand corrected;
What I have are two 7-1/4 BBP Rear Ends out of a 1974 Duster and a 1976 Dart Disc Brake cars..... NOT 8-1/4 SBP Rear Ends!
My bad.

Sorry,
Bruce B.

Dave, this is the one thing I hate about talking in writing, it is very easy to be miss-understood.

What I meant was that there isn't really any issue converting 9" drum spindles to disc brakes. I didn't mean 9" drums were fine.

Chuck

Chuck, Yep, when I went back and looked at your post and the one before it I should have realized you were talking about the spindles. And I do agree there really isn't an issue staying with the 9" spindle.

Chuck, Yep, when I went back and looked at your post and the one before it I should have realized you were talking about the spindles. And I do agree there really isn't an issue staying with the 9" spindle.

For just a street driver that is true... I forget sometimes that not everybody is building a practical racecar like I am. :-D

You know.....
Aren't we all on FABO for kinship?
If I had a set of 10' Spindles/Brakes I would send them to 73charger for the cost of shipping!
I was lucky, had a guy standing over my shoulder to buy my 10' set up from my '70 GT when I pulled them.

How many of us have done the BBP Disc conversion and have these Spindles sitting somewhere growing cobwebs? 73charger... If you still need these when I get the money/parts to convert my '74 Police Dart to BBP Discs I will send you my old 10' HD SBP Drum setup for the cost of shipping. You will need to come up with a pair of Big Ball Joint Upper Control Arms though.

Screw the money! Lets help a brother out here...again.

Later,
Bruce B.

You know.....
Aren't we all on FABO for kinship?
If I had a set of 10' Spindles/Brakes I would send them to 73charger for the cost of shipping!
I was lucky, had a guy standing over my shoulder to buy my 10' set up when I pulled them.

How many of us have done the BBP Disc conversion and have these Spindles sitting somewhere growing cobwebs? 73charger... If you still need these when I get the money/parts to convert my '74 Police Dart to BBP Discs I will send you my old 10' HD SBP Drum setup for the cost of shipping. You will need to come up with a pair of Big Ball Joint Upper Control Arms though.

Screw the money! Lets help a brother out here...again.

Later,
Bruce B.

i would truely appreciate that! now getting the big ball joint UCArms, would i get that from a 73+ or a 67-72?

From a '73 up with any A Body Brakes....
Just measure the Ball Joint "Nut" size to verify it IS a Large Ball Joint Control Arm.
Measure the Nut from one side across the Grease Zerk to the other side on the flats.
Or the Castle Nut on the Threaded Stud will be larger than the older/small Ball Joints too.
I say this because some of the early '73's still used the older Small Ball Joint Control Arms.

Don't be in too much of a hurry finding them!
I am even broker than you seem to be right now and the prices on BBP Disc Brake parts is out of my financial reach for now.

Later,
Bruce B.

The best thing you can do is just keep an eye out for deals and jump on them when they come along. Once you have some major parts in hand that will dictate which way you go. And don't even start swapping parts until you have everything in hand.

There are deals out there. If you pay attention folks will have stuff they are tired of tripping over in the garage and just want it gone NOW. The $125 set of lbp 14" rallies I picked up were gotten that way, they were in a guys basement getting in the way. They had (4) basically new tires I turned around and sold for someone looking for a cheap set of tires.

Amen dgc333 to getting ALL the parts in hand 1st!

I was lucky in that regard too...
Guy had one of the rustiest Dusters I had ever seen and wanted to get it crushed and gone....
Right place at the right time.
Then it took me 2 years after that to get together all the new parts needed to do this swap (Ball Joints, Control Arm Bushings, Brake Soft Lines, Brake Pads, and New Bleeder Screws).

Later,
Bruce B.

Man, I should've showed up here a lot sooner...

If'n you fellas need help on a F/L/M product, don't hesitate to look me up.

I've spent my career with Ford Motor but got my first wood on A bodys (well, a few Ponchos too).

Great bunch!

i still have my 72 frt disc set up
shipping would be a killer from here tho :(

or bring a trailer and $800. and buy the 75 scamp i have in the driveway :)

-
Back