Drum To Disk On A 65 Barracada

-

TerraBella

Reaction score
I need some help!
I want to change my drum breaks to disk on the front of my 65 Barracuda.
I have a line on the disks off a 74 scamp or dart. will they work?
What do i need to convert??
Any Help will be GREAT!!! Thanks

Im not positive about a early A body But I think their the same You will need the upper control arms,The spindles ,rotors, calipers The Lower ball joint will need to be changed to your existing lower control arm(it bolts on) It would be advisable to change the lower control arm bushings while your there and the strut rod bushing too as those dont come off with out pulling the lower control arm Or at least they didnt on my 69 You will also need the master cylinder and booster if you want and the porpotioning valve(I used a adjustable aftermarket one) Oh yeah and front brakes lines too match the dusk brake set up Uh I think thats it......

Yes, those will work. Make sure you at least get upper control arms, spindles, rotors if they are still good, calipers, and proportioning valve. If they are available and your on a budget, get brake lines and master cylinder if they are good shape as well.

Im not positive about a early A body But I think their the same You will need the upper control arms,The spindles ,rotors, calipers The Lower ball joint will need to be changed to your existing lower control arm(it bolts on) It would be advisable to change the lower control arm bushings while your there and the strut rod bushing too as those dont come off with out pulling the lower control arm Or at least they didnt on my 69 You will also need the master cylinder and booster if you want and the porpotioning valve(I used a adjustable aftermarket one) Oh yeah and front brakes lines too match the dusk brake set up Uh I think thats it......
THANK YOU Thank you !!!! your a Champ!!

Yes, those will work. Make sure you at least get upper control arms, spindles, rotors if they are still good, calipers, and proportioning valve. If they are available and your on a budget, get brake lines and master cylinder if they are good shape as well.
Brad!! Thanks a Ton!!! I think I will get the disk set up from the 74 swinger. the guy wants 300.oo seem like a deal hope i can get him to add the spindles and upper arm... Thanks again!!!

I would only recommend getting the calipers and master cylinder to cover the core charge for new replacements.

if you got 10's already, you only need the spindles calipers and rotors. You can drill out your drum LCA to accept the larger disk mounting bolts (1/2 to 9/16) lots of meat left and reuse your uppers. You should get a dual circuit MC too, but the '65 disc used the single pot with a reservoir extension and proportioning valve under the car. You can use a variable proportioning valve (recommended) or use a combo valve off a later disc/drum car.

Do you have any sudugestions on the 4.5 in front and 4 " in back do I just get two sets of wheels ? or do you have a better answer?? thanks for your imput.

I know transdapt makes a wheel adapter, I think I saw some at summitt.

In the short run, I would stick with the two different size wheels. That's just my personal dislike for virtually any "adaptor" to make stuff fit that wasn't engineered that way. for the longer time frame, I would call the folks that advertise axles in the Mopar magazines (sorry, don't have any handy) You need axles for a 7 1/4" rear with the "large" bolt pattern. I got spectacularly lucky, the previous owner had the 8 1/4" rear axle installed from the same donor that the front disk brake hardware came from. That's what I would recommend, but 8 1/4" A body rear axle assemblies seem to be difficult to locate, as I contemplate my '63 Dart coupe project.

In the short run, I would stick with the two different size wheels. That's just my personal dislike for virtually any "adaptor" to make stuff fit that wasn't engineered that way. for the longer time frame, I would call the folks that advertise axles in the Mopar magazines (sorry, don't have any handy) You need axles for a 7 1/4" rear with the "large" bolt pattern. I got spectacularly lucky, the previous owner had the 8 1/4" rear axle installed from the same donor that the front disk brake hardware came from. That's what I would recommend, but 8 1/4" A body rear axle assemblies seem to be difficult to locate, as I contemplate my '63 Dart coupe project.

I found this kit online and you can order large or small bolt pattern for disc brake conversion. It is $799.00 and no going out to look for a missing item, here is the link:

http://www.dodgeplymouthbrakeparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=802

Seems to me the easy way out.

-
Back