Drums to disc

-

rdwsp

Reaction score
A little information would be helpful I purchased a 69 Dodge Dart drum brake car and have the whole k-member and everything completely , I dropped the motor and trans all-in-one have the motor separated from the K member .but have all the suspension strut rod everything's completely together how big of a deal is it to switch to disc brakes? do I have to mess with spindles and all that or can I just I don't know what to do so if you guys can guide me in the right direction that would be awesome what's the first thing I need to do what parts do I need to make this conversion.

Here is something to think about also. Rear Disk Brakes :rolleyes:

20160723_223338.jpg

Really depends on what you want to do. There are aftermarket kits out there that allow you to convert to disks from drums with your current spindles, although be aware the kits are different depending on whether or not you have 9" or 10" drums. And personally because of the lower ball joints I wouldn't use 9" drum spindles for anything, but that's just me. Those kits usually have both the 5x4.5" and 5x4" bolt pattern if you want to keep the original small bolt pattern. Scarebird, Wilwood, and SSBC all make kits for drum spindles.

You can also swap to the later 73+ Mopar disks, which can be done with all factory parts. But that swap requires changing the spindles and either using a tapered ball joint sleeve or new UCA's.

There are a ton of brake swap threads on here detailing the pros and cons of various kits, the search function is your friend!

Really depends on what you want to do. There are aftermarket kits out there that allow you to convert to disks from drums with your current spindles, although be aware the kits are different depending on whether or not you have 9" or 10" drums. And personally because of the lower ball joints I wouldn't use 9" drum spindles for anything, but that's just me. Those kits usually have both the 5x4.5" and 5x4" bolt pattern if you want to keep the original small bolt pattern. Scarebird, Wilwood, and SSBC all make kits for drum spindles.

You can also swap to the later 73+ Mopar disks, which can be done with all factory parts. But that swap requires changing the spindles and either using a tapered ball joint sleeve or new UCA's.

There are a ton of brake swap threads on here detailing the pros and cons of various kits, the search function is your friend!
Thanks for the quick reply that's awesome

View attachment 1715024955

FB_IMG_1488414642627.jpg

Just finish that stuff it' e body then I start on the dart next I found that on the side of a barn in northern Michigan just needs floorboards and right trunk extension original for Speed car drum brake no power steering no power brake swinger found build sheet Fender tag bench seat unbelievable $1,500 when the guy told me how much I didn't know what to do I thought it was a joke but I kept a straight face and gave him the money and gave him a big hand shake and got it out of there as quick as possible

I highly recommend to not use the 9" drum spindle. I had one snap right at the root. I was going around a right turn, and the unloaded wheel took off with drum and everything. I realized almost instantly what had happened since I saw the wheel rolling away from me.And since there was a driveway right there onto a parking lot, I wheeled it around up a small hill and plopped the corner down, no brakes required. Then I went to get my stuff.
After this event I researched those 9 inchers some and found that this was not an isolated case. This was on a 69 Barracuda slanty. It happened in about 76/77.
If you want to be steered: I suggest the 73 up V8 disc set-up. Pretty cheap buy-in, excellent stoppers, easy install.
Oh I see it mighta been a V8 car already, so then it will have ten inchers.

If you want to stay with the disc brakes that came factory for your car you will need to look for a Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper setup that has the disc brake spindle and hub included. That is what I am doing with my 68 Barracuda. Here is a link for some KH swap info:

The Kelsey-Hayes Disk Brake Swap Thread

I have those 4-piston jobs and they are very good stoppers. In 17 years they have never given me any trouble. I used silicon fluid right from day one, and it's still in there. The same exact fluid.I prefer them to any floating caliper I have ever had.

But they are getting pricey to buy now; probably twice or more than I fully functioning floating caliper set-up.

-
Back