Dry Converter

-

erict

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Alright so I screwed up and put my converter in dry during my build. Now I'm very close to firing up for the first time and breaking in my cam...I'm worried about burning up the converter.

A buddy told me I could put 5 or 6 quarts in the trans, unbolt the converter from the flexplate and turn it by hand to get it to pump in some fluid. I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to be working. The fluid level is not changing on the dipstick.

Any ideas? Is it worth pulling the trans back out to add that 1 quart of fluid? or will I be OK during the 20 minute break-in if I have somebody watching the fluid level and adding?

Thanks

Do you have the trans in Park or Neutral? The converter will NEVER fill in Park, no Torqueflite will. I would make sure you have plenty of fluid in the trans and start the engine in Neutral. Expect to add 2-3 quarts right after you fire the engine. You are going to have quite a lot to do once the engine fires, topping up liquids, leak checking etc... so have a friend or two and make sure all the stuff you'll need is close at hand.

It's definitely better to have fluid in the converter but when i was young I did a lot of them and never filled the converter and never once had a problem. Start it in neutral so it starts pumping right away cause like Chief said they don't pump fluid in park. Oh yeah also have the rear wheels off the ground (properly secured on jack stands) so as there's no load on the trans. at all.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to start it in neutral and have someone checking/adding trans fluid.

I just went through this same process last week. I had the pan full (took about 3.5 quarts) and started it in neutral. It took the fluid pretty quick so be ready to add some. I ended up adding another 4 quarts while it was running.

-
Back