dry sump oil pump question

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
hello, can one of the scavenge sections on a dry sump pump be used for an engine vacuum pump?

I am going to an external pump on my race car, and I would like to avoid running both a separate oil pump and a a vacuum pump.

will the scavenge stage on the dry sump pump pull enough vacuum on the entire engine?

thanks for your help and insight.

Greg

good to see you on here Greg, .org is to slow for me. you'll have some good answers on this!

you don't need a vacuum pump with a dry sump set up.
Hi Bob,

Thanks,

I am not truly running a dry sump setup. ( I guess i did not explain that very well.)

The sump is still a wet sump setup ..Oil Pick up in the pan under a few inches of oil.
I am just getting rid of the stock oil pump and running an external pump with a crank mandrel and a gilmer belt drive. That's why I want to know if I can use the scavenge part of the pump for Vacuum.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

Hi Bob,

Thanks,

I am not truly running a dry sump setup. ( I guess i did not explain that very well.)

The sump is still a wet sump setup ..Oil Pick up in the pan under a few inches of oil.
I am just getting rid of the stock oil pump and running an external pump with a crank mandrel and a gilmer belt drive. That's why I want to know if I can use the scavenge part of the pump for Vacuum.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

ok that makes more sense... think about this Greg... would your oil pump sucking air live? no because its lubed by it... even a multi chamber pump with multiple, but separate in/outs wouldn't work...

Even with an actual dry sump type of system you many times will still benefit from having a vaccum pump on the engine. A dry sump will pull a vacuum in the crank case but many of the times it may only pull up to about 5" of vacuum. But you also have to ensure that you have the engine sealed up so its not trying to pull a vacuum with a breather on the v/c or the dipstick tube.

Thanks for the replies..

I guess I was wondering if any Dry sump type pumps have a vacuum segment built in or as an optional stage....

Maybe this is just a pipe dream and I will have the external wet sump pump and have to get the vacuum pump seperatley..

The separate Vacuum pump means more weight, Lines, tanks and Hassle in my opinion... but Probably worth it in HP gains.. I just wanted to see if I could be smart and pragmatic about my design and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Kind of like those ancient 50's Power steering and generator setups. one item that served t purposes.

Greg

I wouldn't suggest combining the two. But - the oldschool vacuum pumps were just 80s vintage AIR injection pumps. You might look at that.

I wouldn't suggest combining the two. But - the oldschool vacuum pumps were just 80s vintage AIR injection pumps. You might look at that.

thats what im thinking... i think its a 87 bronco 302/351 has in/out on the housing (vs some that intake thru the fan/pulley)

Yup. They used to be the stuff to run but they don't pull a ton of vacuum and they wear out fairly quickly - so Moroso developed theirs. On a slanty I'm not sure you need much "suck".

Yup. They used to be the stuff to run but they don't pull a ton of vacuum and they wear out fairly quickly - so Moroso developed theirs. On a slanty I'm not sure you need much "suck".

what would be the difference between a slant and a V8?? crank case volume?

Crankcase volume and number of leaks (6 pistons). At least that's my thought anyway.

ALOT of the 80s GM products with the 307 Olds engines used belt driven vacuum pumps. I am sure you could adapt one.

-
Back