DS 340 manifold on EQ heads

-

mod5v

Reaction score
I was mocking up the driver side manifold on my new EQ heads and noticed the bottom of the ports are not sealing because the port in the manifold is lower than the machined pad on the EQ heads. has anyone else run into this and if so how did you get them to seal ? Weld up the bottom od the manifold? I would have to build up the floor of the manifold then machine it flat? This is for a dirt track car so noise isn't an issue but worried about the leak causing a burnt valve or a fire LOL..

I have Magnum heads on my 340 with the 69 exhaust manifolds.
Yes, the manifold ports are taller than the head's. I made my own exhaust gaskets cut to the OD of the manifold size and the ID cut to the head's port size. Been on there for almost 8 years and no leaks.

That's kind of what I did. I took a 318 gasket and widened it to the magnum port then I used red rtv to help seal. I have not run it yet so I guess it remains to be seen if it works.

Have to use stock un ported cast manifolds that's why I have a 70 340 DS and 93 magnum PS.

Have to use stock un ported cast manifolds that's why I have a 70 340 DS and 93 magnum PS.

I meant for you to use the header flange as a spacer to cover any voids between the manifold ports and the head ports. I wasn't suggesting for you to use headers. Depending on what manifolds you're using you may not have room for spacer.

Treblig

ahh, yes that would work but may get dinged in tech as rules state no adaptors. good ideas though. if the gasket mod and high temp rtv dosent work I think I'm going to try and weld a little I mig welded a crack on it and it held up all season

-
Back