DS rockers not getting oil...help

-

MADMarc

Just a d00d
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got a new toy for my collection and am super excited to start diving in head first. Car is a 70 dart w/a 318. Was told it needed a "tune" (whatever some people think that is nowadays :p) and am expecting the worst. Just towed it home and started opening it up. Engine had some knocking, and upon removing the valve covers I saw that the DS doesn't seem to be getting nearly enough oil and the oil pass shows some rust colored gunk at the top of the rockers. PS looks to be fine. Is there something that might be blocking the oil from getting to the top of the heads? I am seeing if there is anything I can do before taking the heads off and having them redone...of course, I am preparing myself for some bottom end issues as well. Enlighten me, please!

Here are some shots of the DS and then PS w/the covers removed so that you can see just what I'm talking about.

20130106_141118_zpsdb3c0052.jpg

20130106_141111_zps75072f2c.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I'd start by pulling the rocker shaft off on that side and looking for an obstruction . Or possibly the shaft was installed wrong blocking off or limiting the oil supply.

What kind of oil pressure did it have?...... As a side note, also curious to what else may be done to the engine. That's a Tarantula (TM5) intake on there and that's a 3000 and up rpm manifold on a 340/360. That's alot of intake for a mild 318.

Hah, thanks for all the responses! I have yet to research the intake besides matching the part number to the model. From my brief googling it sounds like it wasn't a very popular intake, but I just want to have it running so I can start getting pieces for a big block swap. If it will work, I think I will hang onto it for the time being.

Also, and this is a very stupid question, but can the shaft be installed backwards? If so, how can I verify that this is or is not the case? I was also told to suspect the cam bearings. Gonna be fun getting into this classic mopar stuff again. :)

there is a notch on one end of each shaft. the notch faces down and to the rear on the passenger side , and down and to front on the drivers side

I will check that out as soon as I get a chance tomorrow. Thank you for the clarification.

Oh, and it is an oil light, not a gauge... Light doesn't come on when it's running.

The shafts can be on backwards and even upside down. Remove and see if oiling holes are on the BOTTOM, that is correct. and the notch as stated must be down and left looking at the heads. I would pull shafts and run an oil primer while slowly rotating the crank 2 revolutions. The oil hole will line up twice and you should see gurgling oil out the 2nd from left shaft ped. The shaft could also be plugged but improbable. IF no oil, and other is getting oil, you should probe oil galley with coat hanger while turning crank with breaker bar. It should go through bearing into camshaft at one point. if not, cam bearing has moved.

Awesome. Thanks! And i have had a little longer to look up that intake manifold and it seems it isn't what I want at ALL. Going to keep my eyes open for a performer or even a torker for that matter.
I will try to tackle that tomorrow, Pishta. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Torker will be no better, stick with a dual plane. Performer, or Stealth/Action plus. Good stuff.

Okays, Took it apart and the shaft was on correctly. Took both sides apart to compare when checking for the oil spurting out. The problem side doesn't give anything - no gurgling, spurting, flowing at all. The good side shot some oil out and onto the header...hmm

Then I tried the coat hangar trick. I fed it down the oil passage on the second pedestal and it went nowhere...spun the engine and still nothing. Then I tried this on the good side and got the same result, which tells me I am doing it incorrectly. The passage on the pedestals that squirt oil are the galleys you're referring to, correct?

[ The passage on the pedestals that squirt oil are the galleys you're refehhrring to, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes , I went through a similar situation years ago . Here's what I did -with the rocker shaft removed i looked down the bore with a flash light. While a friend slowly turned the engine with a breaker bar. When I could see the bore hole in the cam line up with the bottom of the oil passage I turned the oil pump with a priming shaft chucked in a drill to confirm oil was making its way up to the rockers. I'd start with the side you know is getting oil .then check the dry side .

Sounds like possibly the cam bearing was installed incorrectly.The question on my mind was how long was the engine run like this? I wouldn't think the rockers and shafts would last long with no oil .My first thought was that there's some obstruction or contamination possibly in the shaft itself that's causing a lack of proper lubrication. What's curious is the rust near the oil holes on the rockers .

The question on my mind was how long was the engine run like this? I wouldn't think the rockers and shafts would last long with no oil .My first thought was that there's some obstruction or contamination possibly in the shaft itself that's causing a lack of proper lubrication. What's curious is the rust near the oil holes on the rockers .

My thoughts, as well. As far as I know, the car has been sitting for quite some time. The previous owner drove it about two blocks to a parking lot where it lugged in...from there it was fired up to line it up on a flat bed, and then again to park it where it sits now. So, assuming this is a recent problem, it hasn't been run like that for more than a few minutes. If it was preexisting, the PO said he drove it sixty miles, had issues with the transmission leaking, and then parked it. Other than that I have no idea :/. Can only cross my fingers.

I will do my best to eyeball down that tiny hole w/a good shot from the flashlight to try and line things up. Glad to hear I wasn't too far off. If it is a cam bearing, I guess it's off to the telephone to try and find a good shop that can replace those cam gears without the engine being disassembled. If I cant, they want it disassembled, and I cant find a running 318, it looks like the little guy will sit until my other car sells so I can get that 440 project started :D

-
Back