Dual Exhaust Crossmember Modification on 64-66 A-Bodies?

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Anyone used the laysons dual exhaust cross member for 64-66 a-bodies?
Im tired of my dual exhaust on my 65 looking like crap so i want to modify my cross member on the transmission
Any members on here do the same service?

Thanks

I did my own, but your muffler shop can probably cut and weld your crossmember when they redo your exhaust. Easier for you.

I'm in the process of doing my own. Comparison of a stock crossmember on the bottom to the modified one on top. Might have to get Leanna to do some powdercoating on it when I'm done!

crossmember.jpg

ok seems easy enough thanks all
Anyone have an extra stock one they wanna sell me?
hehe

I did mine using the 63-66 tti exhaust header instructions. You can find them on their website. Very easy to do.

65BCODA, what kind of metal/gauge are you using for that curved part?

I saw the instructions on TTI's site, seems simple ill take the cross member to the exhaust shop

65BCODA, what kind of metal/gauge are you using for that curved part?

I saw the instructions on TTI's site, seems simple ill take the cross member to the exhaust shop

I used some 1/8" flat stock that was laying around the shop, put it in a vice along side some pipe and heated with a torch to mold it to the pipe w/ BFH.
I almost took out too much in the radius cut, but got lucky, it did not bottom out on the car submember.
Looked real nice after powder coating:toothy10:

Thanks for the info!
Looks like TTI only modifies existing ones as people would never send their cores back to them, costs $100 to do-very nice people to talk to

Would a 67+ trans crossmember work as well?
those seem to already have a dip in both sides

Ok last question I hope,
To install this part/remove old one, would you need to loosen the torsion bar adjusters to relieve torsion from this area of the car?

Ok last question I hope,
To install this part/remove old one, would you need to loosen the torsion bar adjusters to relieve torsion from this area of the car?

No! I'll get you a picture of what goes on under there this afternoon.

Dave

Edited for pics....hope this sheds a little light on the subject. The frame member is at the rear of the torsion bars and are not affected by the trans mount coming out. And this is the x member I'll be sending you, like I said though I'll finish cleaning it and give it a quick sandblast this weekend before I send it out.

Dave

Dart Frame 1.jpg

Dart Frame 2.jpg

Trans X member 1.jpg

Trans X member 2.jpg

Just be careful and don't do what I did first: I cut the arc a little too deep, welded the patch, then tried to bolt it up. The trans crossmember bottomed out on the chassis when I bolted it up and the bolt holes wouldn't line up. Had to cut my welds and re-do it. Pissed me off to no end!!!

im guessing i need to drop one of the exhaust pipes to remove and reinstall this unit?

Good info here. Bookmarking this so I can do it later this month.

Thanks all. 8)

-
Back