Dual Master Cylinder

-

1965Signet

Reaction score
What dual master will work on a 1965 Valiant Signet? Installing a line-lock and need to replace single with dual. Thanks!

I think it was this one from RockAuto I used on my 66 Valiant. RAYBESTOS Part # MC36221 . Used the old pushrod and works fine. Anything 67, 68, 69 should be fine. One of the best additions I made to my car just for the peace of mind. Dennis

Like Dennis, I just did this on a 64.(DRUM ALL 4 WHEELS) Ordered one for a 67 Dart did not need a prop valve.At the 3 way junction block, plug the fitting that went to the rear and union the rear line to the new master .You may have to remove the mounting studs from your single master and install in the newer one. If you go to the late model you will need a adapter to go from 4 bolt mount to 2 bolt. If I remember you have to use the adjustable push rod for the 2 bolt.

I believe there is this, your push rod will work, this is for my 66 Valiant / car
Don't you have a 4 bolt MC ? part number is on the box

Attachments

• Creeds%20600%20VLX%20019.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 601
  • mike%20on%20couch%20052.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 574
The 36338 NAPA master cylinder is almost, but not yet, extinct.
RockAuto is selling the last of them at $11.22 ea under the United name and has less than a dozen available at that closeout price.

Note the application was originally for 71 to 74's with manual front disc brakes/drum back brakes since this cylinder has a small bore 15/16 dia to reduce pedal effort to reasonable levels.....the result is a 40% longer stroke to get the brakes locked up.

I installed the cylinder, without any push rod modifications, in my 65 Dart fitted with Scarebird front disc brake setup & maintained the 9 inch rear drum brakes. I find the longer stroke gives better control on braking pressure on wet & icy roads when stopping. No proportioning valve was used. The front line goes down to the original splitter while the rear line heads straight back to the rear splitter on the rear axle housing.

The ram man can hook you up with something that will bolt on and work.

He sold me a master cylinder for my 66 Valiant. He has some for disc or drum brakes and most other parts to get them together.

http://www.theramman.com/

I used one for a '73 Challenger from Autozone on my '66 Barracuda w/ manual front discs / rear drums.

I see some of the replies talking of disc brakes. I am assuming you have 4 wheel drum brakes and can't use a master cylinder for disc brakes plus you need a proportioning valve with disc brakes which you you won't need with your drum brakes. Dennis

I had better go tell my friend that has been driving his straight axle 440 4 speed 5:11 geared Road runner for allmost 20+ years he did it wrong . There is no proportion to it just a place to run all 5 lines and a sensor to send the signal to the brake light in the case of a leak . The older junction blocks only have 4 lines that go into them where the newer ones have 5 . Cut both styles in half ( thickness ) so to be able to see the passages and compare .

My guess is that his older 65 Valiant has the older junction block that can be used with the dual master cylinder like I have been for years. Like you said. Four ports. One goes in and three go out. One to each of the front wheels and one to the rear which goes to a splitter and then to each of the rear wheels. No proportioning valve. Older vehicles didn't even have a sensor to tell you that you had low fluid levels. dodgem

[There is no proportion to it just a place to run all 5 lines/QUOTE]

My Scarebird disc brake installation in a lightweight 65 Dart with dual master cyl was done without a proportioning valve; it's function being to reduce/delay the rear brake pressure to avoid lockup of the rear wheels prematurely.

The thinking was that the tiny 9 inch rear drums had measureably less capacity then the front discs thus providing a "proportioning" of brake capacity to the light rear & heavy front.

As a test studded snow tires were mounted front & rear and the brakes slammed on. Grooves in the pavement were identical length for both the front & rear tires....it seemed they might be well balanced.

I was concerned that a proportioning valve could have the effect of lengthening the stopping distance for a disc brake/9 inch drum combo.

Perhaps a heavier 70's Dart with 10 inch rear drums might have different results & need a proportioning valve?

-
Back