Dual quad question

-

Dguyski

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am putting together a dual quad tunnel ram setup for my 67 barracuda. It has a 440, bored 0.030" over during the rebuild, with stock iron heads that have been well ported and have some slight bowl work, a .488"/.498" lift 298/303 duration (224/234 @ 0.050") cam and has a 10:1 compression ratio. It's not a 600hp engine, but it gets down just fine. I have 2 questions: would it be better to run a pair of 600 cfm carbs or would a pair of 750 cfm carbs be way too much? Also, would an 1850-3 holley work with a 9834-2? Both being vacuum secondary, electric choke 600 cfm holleys, and can be jetted the same, but i have no experience in this particular matter and i have one of each so it would save me money. I also have a 3310-3 750 cfm that i could match up with another if 750 wouldn't be too much. Thank you for your expertise and insight!

Ok, it appears the 600's are the way to go. Does anyone know if the two 600's i have would work if i set them up the same? Or should i match one of them to an identical one?

i ran dual 625 cfm carter competition afbs with minor tuning on my last 440 (though on an old single plane mid-rise intake).i didn't set them up progressive. I took the idle speed screws out ,connected the throttle arms and installed 1 speed screw to control both carbs,and a vacuum gauge for mixture. it worked great on and off the street before I went 505" and EFI.Tune-ability with carters is easy

Thank you for the replies guys, i ended up picking up a pair of 1850-2 600cfm holleys, and I'm going to swap out the secondary metering plates for metering blocks so i can adjust the jets. Would it be worth it to swap the secondary diaphragm spring covers for quick change ones to speed the process of spring swaps if needed? And what should be a baseline to start with regarding jets, needle and seats, stuff like that? I really appreciate the help!

Would a progressive linkage be better for the street? I have read so many different opinions that conflict each other it's getting confusing. Someone said a straight linkage with heavy springs in the secondaries is the best. Will having dual carbs affect the operation of the vacuum secondaries?

-
Back