duel snorkel hood scoop

-

dr.demon

dr.demon
Reaction score
OK everyone lets get the ball rolling on the 72 duel snorkel hood scoop on the 72 models. I have a 72 Demon that has the 8 holes to attach the scoop but there are no clean air holes in the hood, so does that mean that the scoop is for looks only. The duel snorkel scoop studs do not line up with the holes in my hood. I bought it from Yearone. It looks like I am stuck with this scoop and if I am going to have to put more holes in hood to make it fit I would like to know if I should go ahead and put the clean air holes in as well. Please will someone in the know help. Thank You

Are you talking about the two seperet scoops or the two scoops that are together? If you are talking about the two seperit scoops I can take a pic of my 70 Dart. It is the same. Both scoops were functional.

The Year one repop scoops are a one piece design and the studs are in fact in a different location than an originals. I believe the dual snorkal scoop was for looks. I cut out my hood to make it functional. The double scoop hoods had circular holes cut out under each scoop, but some didn"t as they were offered in the Twister "trim" package on early Dusters. You'll need to drill the correct holes(the back middle hole should be in the right spot though) and then I'd trim it out in the center and make it functional.

I had a Dart Sport hood with the original snorkle scoop, it had the 2 factory fresh air holes and factory seals around them. I wish I never sold it.......

Keep it coming the duel scoop, that is not the 2 singles, there appears to be no arguement about those.

Just want some of you guys that are original owners to give me some feedback, and keep this post closer to the top of this forum.

Thank You

What exactly are you asking???

I have a 73 Dart Sport with an original scoop hood. It has the two holes 4.25" holes under the scoop.

If you are asking about hole locations, measure yours from the rear edge and I can compare/get you where mine are.

I have heard that the 72 were for looks only and that the clean air hole do not exist. Others have said that they do. I am trying to verify and get a consensice as to what is correct. Why is my hood not have the holes cut out if they are suppose to be there? And the holes to attach the duel snorkal scoop are already in place and appear to be factory.

Well the Mopar chassis book reads that there is holes cut in the hood. But the air cleaner is not sealed to the hood making it more decorative than functional. If your car came with the scoop as standered then it should have the hooles cut in it. All hoods should have the bolt hole locations,

I am just trying to figure this out burntorange, there was a big discussion on this topic in May of this yr. by 7demon2 and other members on this board and I am trying to see if it ever got resolved. None of those members have chimed in yet.

On the 71 Demons with the dual scoops, the holes were optional....some had them, some didn't. However, I have never seen a dual-snorkel scoop that was factory installed without the fresh air holes. The holes are exactly 4-1/8" diameter, and used rubber "grommet" type seals around the opening.....they cooled off the engine bay, and put lots of air in and around the air cleaner.

To use the scoop without the ram air holes will produce a back pressure inside it that could be damaging to the scoop and your hood........Cut the holes.

As for YearOne selling you a scoop that has different stud locations, all I can say is "it figures". There are templates that lay on the hood for the original stud locations and factory placement, and for the ram air cut outs.....and are you SURE those studs don't line up? :read2:

On the 71 Demons with the dual scoops, the holes were optional....some had them, some didn't. However, I have never seen a dual-snorkel scoop that was factory installed without the fresh air holes. The holes are exactly 4-1/8" diameter, and used rubber "grommet" type seals around the opening.....they cooled off the engine bay, and put lots of air in and around the air cleaner.

To use the scoop without the ram air holes will produce a back pressure inside it that could be damaging to the scoop and your hood........Cut the holes.

As for YearOne selling you a scoop that has different stud locations, all I can say is "it figures". There are templates that lay on the hood for the original stud locations and factory placement, and for the ram air cut outs.....and are you SURE those studs don't line up? :read2:

They for sure do not line up already had it sitting on the hood.

Anyone else want to chime in on this subject? Thanks to everyone that has

I am just trying to figure this out burntorange, there was a big discussion on this topic in May of this yr. by 7demon2 and other members on this board and I am trying to see if it ever got resolved. None of those members have chimed in yet.

it is resolved as far as myself and alot of others are concerned.........

j 54 would have to be on the fendertag to be an original hood scoop option car. if it is not there then there is no scoop or black out treatment....

j 54 would have to be on the fendertag to be an original hood scoop option car. if it is not there then there is no scoop or black out treatment....

OK That is what I was looking for. my fender tag does not have that code on it. It does have a J52 can you tell me what that code is. I do not have this cars fender tag fully decoded as of yet

Pics of an original Dart Sport hood on ebay about 2 years ago:

6a_1.JPG

85_1.JPG

That is the first and only hood with that scoop that I've seen with holes in it

Here are pics of original 72 Demon 340 hood. It had been repainted over, but is orig. Petty Blue w/ Black Sizzler stripes. I stripped underside so the color at this time is incorrect. I will state again, with certainity that the holes were factory. They are 4-1/8" dia. They have been stamped out, not cut/drilled/filed/sanded. Also the 72 hood has additional holes in the bracing that are not on the dual-scoop versions, although the support which is contoured to fit the dual scoops is still there.

Grant

LOL.. thought I lost my pics, but then realized I'm on my wife's laptop. Will attach tomorrow

I believe some scoops and wings were "dealer installed" options as well. That might explain why some had no holes cut out(dealers lazy). I had a factory dual snorkal scoop and a "Year One" dual snorkal scoop and the mounting studs are definitely in different locations for sure.

I believe some scoops and wings were "dealer installed" options as well. That might explain why some had no holes cut out(dealers lazy).
exactly......i know the factory part books show the hood with holes and refers to the holes in description as well and that is good enough proof for me.......

hood.jpg

-
Back