DUI distributor with Kwik wire

-

Mash340

Reaction score
So i am putting Kwik wire in my 1972 demon. I am not using the ballast resistor due to the 4 pin GM moduale on the DUI distributor. Has anyone worked with this combination.
it is all new to me but looks straight forward. The other ? can i get away from mopars ignition switch maybe go to a ford?
Thanks in avance

I have no idea what you are referring to. Link? to the product? You talking about a wiring harness? No need to change?? the ignition switch?? Why would you want/ need to?

"I'm guessing" you are referring to IGN1/ IGN2 on the switch

IGN1, "run," used to be dark blue, GOES DEAD at the switch during starting.

IGN2 is "hot" in "start" and supplies the coil with full battery voltage during starting.

For a NON ballast resistor system, just jumper the two together

(A Ferd switch might not do you any good either!!!!)

Connect the 2 ballast wires together, cover with shrink tubing and shove back in the wire harness. This will give the 4 pin HEI module a full 12V. Your over thinking it.

The Kwik wire is a new harness a company out of Wisconin. I'm removing the ballast totally out of the car. The mopar ignition relay is basically junk. Just had bought a new one from Napa and it quite a month later do not want to use the relay to start the car . That is why i was referring to a Ford starter ignition relay being that I am in the process of replacing the entire wiring harness just to update the car to a modern wiring system that can handle all the modern equipment that is installed. Not to say Ford ignition relay will be any better. The DUI distributor has the 4 pin GM style modual there for do not need the ballast two wires red black + to + on the coil Black to the - on the coil hot to the + side . Wiring using the Kwik wire Manual all cars require the same to start and run just trying to get it better for the run down. Better equipment and maybe putting way to much thought in to it but just trying to improve on the old girl to be reliable trustworthy ride. The DUI distributor pushes the gap on the plugs to 0.055 impressive. I would just like to wire it up to get the motor running it has been 3 years and trying to push hard this year to get it up and running and out of the garage and to be honest it has been 10 years of off and on and ani't getting any younger. Thanks for the replys I probably just did not state a good question. So on we go this week to get the 2.5 inch barrels a smoking.

The Mopar starter relays are fine and work well if you get a quality one. If you INSIST on using a Ferd solenoid/ relay (you said ignition switch in your OP) you WILL NOT HAVE the circuit for neutral safety. You must instead use the fairly rare/ expensive Jeep/ AMC solenoid, which looks similar to a Ford with one more terminal. That is, the AMC/ Jeep solenoid has two large terminals, two small screw / nut terminals, and one "push on" terminal for the neutral switch.

Here we go Standard Motor Products SS-582. You can see "the fifth" terminal sticking out the back

41WV9SM8AZL._AC_.jpg

Wiring using the Kwik wire Manual all cars require the same to start and run just trying to get it better for the run down. .

That is not exactly true. For decades, Ford/ ??? GM has used the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid to provide ignition power during cranking. Mopar did this in the ignition switch itself. Most of these aftermarket wiring harnesses are designed by/ of/ for Chevy heads, and they have no idea of the little "tricks" of other vehicles.

The Kwik wire is a new harness a company out of Wisconin. I'm removing the ballast totally out of the car. The mopar ignition relay is basically junk. Just had bought a new one from Napa and it quite a month later do not want to use the relay to start the car . That is why i was referring to a Ford starter ignition relay being that I am in the process of replacing the entire wiring harness just to update the car to a modern wiring system that can handle all the modern equipment that is installed. Not to say Ford ignition relay will be any better. The DUI distributor has the 4 pin GM style modual there for do not need the ballast two wires red black + to + on the coil Black to the - on the coil hot to the + side . Wiring using the Kwik wire Manual all cars require the same to start and run just trying to get it better for the run down. Better equipment and maybe putting way to much thought in to it but just trying to improve on the old girl to be reliable trustworthy ride. The DUI distributor pushes the gap on the plugs to 0.055 impressive. I would just like to wire it up to get the motor running it has been 3 years and trying to push hard this year to get it up and running and out of the garage and to be honest it has been 10 years of off and on and ani't getting any younger. Thanks for the replys I probably just did not state a good question. So on we go this week to get the 2.5 inch barrels a smoking.

A call to the guys at KW will help. I'm not sure if Gary is still around but it's a family operation and they know their product.

I've installed about six of those kits the last one in my early Hemi powered '56 F100... No issues there. But I didn't use any Mopar specific parts either.

Good luck.

-
Back