Dumb 273 Questions.

-

Scampin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a few probably dumb questions on my 64 273. Since the stroker motor for the duster has taken every penny I have for race cars this year, the 360 I am building for the barracuda is on hold till mid summer.
The stock 273 runs, but leaked oil like a stuck pig out of the crank seal. The motor was rebuilt in 76, (new rings, bearings, crank was cut .010, double roller chain, valve seals, etc.) driven 500mi, then it sat till a couple years ago. I pulled the motor yesterday, pulled the pan, the sludge on the bottom was about a 1/2 thick. The bearings still look brand new, with very minor scratches probably from the crap oil being run through it. Still can see nice cross hatches in the cylinder walls, again minor scuffing. I really just want to replace the rear crank seal, oil pan gasket, one exhaust valve seal, throw the commando intake, and possibly put a cam in it. I probably should take it apart and clean everything and throw bearings in it, but time is short and it only has to last till the 360 is done. Summit is selling a 340 hyd. cam and lifter package for 100bux. Can I use the factory springs and pushrods? Is it worth it with the factory 4bl intake? I need it done soon as I entered into the local 4spd bracket class which starts this wednesday and I dont want to run my daily driver too many times.

just rebuilt engine new heads gaskets torqued every thing seem to get little clear water out exhaust really have not ran car long yet just broke moter in been rainin pulled plugs no water oil looks good can i be paranoid?

Hydrolic lifters require a different push rod. Most cam mfgrs wont warranty the cam without using their recommended springs.

-
Back