Dumb Question

-
It doesn't need to be dropped on #6 as long as you tdc the motor b4 you drop it in
that has been my point all alongwith the dots together I don't care if its firing on #3 by the time you get the damper on it you have moved the crank enuff you need to tdc the motor anyway

Have not fired it up yet. Still need to connect the exhaust at the header collectors, put the low pressure hose on the power steering, install wires and cap and fill the coolant and then recheck everything, I'll let you all know how it sounds when she fires over. I did cross the starter regulator with a screwdriver and was able to listen to the engine crank over with the starter and it sounds good. it turns over nice and there is good compression. Hopefully all will be well when I get it ready to rock.

I guess maybe I didn't explain fully. Sometimes I forget some of you guys aren't mechanics. lol I think I'm talking to another mechanic and I'm talking to an electrician that doesn't know as much. Sorry for the confusion I only meant you needed to pull the distributor and turn it 180*.

Quote from Dave Hughes Camshaft Installation Instruction sheet

"A common problem encountered when installing a timing chain and sprockets is to install the ignition distributor 180º out of time. This happens because the piston is on the overlap stroke, not the compression stroke. This is why. When the sprockets are in the classic installation position, with the cam sprocket’s dot down at 6:00 position and the crank sprocket’s dot up at the 12:00 and the number 1 piston at top dead center, it is not on the compression stroke. Rotate the crank 1 more turn, putting both sprockets’ dots at 12:00 and the #1 piston at top dead center. Now you are on the compression stroke, and you can install the distributor. (No, I don’t know why it is this way. It has been this way forever, on all American engines since timing chains have been used). It’s probably Al Gores idea; he has lots of good ones!
We suggest that you spray the timing chain libercy with gel lube before installing the timing cover".

-
Back