Dumb Question

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I have a question. Probably a dumb one at that. When I installed my new camshaft, I lined both pointers up at 6 and 12 O clock and put the distributor in so the rotor was pointing at #1 plug. When I put the thust plate in and the cam timing gear, I noticed that the camshaft moved forward which also moved the rotor position. Is this OK? Can I just adjust the cap in reference to the #1 plug wire?

which one was at 6 oclock and which one was at 12 oclock?
The cam will walk a little bit when its not running but that isn't a problem ... just adjust the distrib accordingly.

Well first of all if the cam was at 6 and the crank was at 12 it's 180 degrees out anyway. So pull it and set it again. Cam at 12 and crank at 12 is #1 firing.

The cam was at 6 o clock and the crank at 12 o clock per the instructions with the cam. I hope it is not out, I got the timing cover and water pump already back on the block.

Just checked the timing with a picture online. i need to pull it apart and turn the gear so both marks are at 12 0 clock. Damn!!!!

..............The marks are fine........but u have to have ur rotor pointing to # 6., not #1....when ur dots are at cam6 and crank 12..........kim.........

.........NO NO NO....DON'T pull it apart, u just have to pull ur dist and point the rotor to #6.......u have the tc and gears on right......its sometimes confusing as hell, but u r good........kim........

LISTEN CAREFULLY

All you have to do is pull the dist. and turn it 1/2 turn

HERE IS WHY

All the books show you lining up the timing marks with the cam at 6 o'clock, the crank at 12 o'clock

THIS IS NO 6 READY TO FIRE, not no 1

BUT......when the crank comes around ONE more turn, with the balancer timing marks "up,"

THEN no1 will be ready to fire AND

if you could see the cam marks, you will find that the crank mark is at 12 o' clock and the CAM IS ALSO AT 12 o' clock.

This is because the camshaft turns at 1/2 crank speed, so every OTHER crank revolution, the cam is at 6 o'clock

TO MAKE SURE

Pull the no 1 plug, stick your finger in the hole, and bump the engine until you START to feel compression. You might want to go "around" twice so you know what to look for

AS SOON as you start to feel compression, look at the marks, and bring them up to about where you want the timing, IE 10*, 15*, etc.

THIS IS no1 ready to fire.

Now look at your rotor. It should be pointing to no6 !!! according to what you've posted.

So just yank it out, and turn it 1/2 turn. I always mark the top of the dist. housing with a light file cut to mark where the center of the no1 plug tower goes. RETARD the dist by turning it clockwise, then COME BACK "advanced" by turning it slowly counterclockwise until the reluctor tip is in the center of the pickup coil, and rotor pointing to the no1 plug tower.

The thing should start right up just like you parked it.

What the hell type of cams are you guys running? I have always set the crank straight up (12) and the cam gear straight down (6) and drop my distrib in pointing a #1 and it always fires right up and runs great.

I have not torn it down as of yet. I just checked and the rotor was not in the right position. I set it at #6 cylinder. Is this all I'll need to do?

What the hell type of cams are you guys running? I have always set the crank straight up (12) and the cam gear straight down (6) and drop my distrib in pointing a #1 and it always fires right up and runs great.

I have news.

No, ya didn't.

Even cough, gag, Chivvies have this little twit about their cam marks.

............Me thinks OWTLAW has been working on too many FORDS as that is how they are timed......re read 67DART273s post...kim..........

OK maybe I got too close to the mushroom patch again but I 'd swear that was how I set up my cam last month

Gentlemen I just went out to the shop- and got my Chrysler shop manual and checked the small block timing marks and it show it just as I said....NOW who has been in the mushroom patch.... nah nah ta nah nah

I have been a mechanic and a mopar fan for 40 years and I don't think I have ever set cam timing any way but the marks closest together (crank 12) cam(6)

DUSTERMANIAC
The cam was at 6 o clock and the crank at 12 o clock per the instructions with the cam. I hope it is not out, I got the timing cover and water pump already back on the block.

looks right to me

I just checked my manual and all mopars from /6 to hemi set the same way

\
I stand by my original post

Now this is going to get fun! ....LOL

I just went out to the shop- and got my Chrysler shop manual and checked the small block timing marks and it show it just as I said..

So far as the manual YOU ARE RIGHT

But if you read that manual CAREFULLY, NO WHERE in there does it say whether that is to setup no1 or no6

I lost a 20 buck bet on this about 30 years ago. Some one was asking me this very question in the store. Here sits a "Chivvy" SB shortblock on a a stand, and obviously you can see the cam lobes.

A friend of mine said "He'd bet 20 bucks that was not the no1 cylinder."

Ah, an easy 20 HOW could I resist? So we look at the cam, and I forked over the 20

I'm tellin' ya buddy, there are LOTS of American made V8's that are "this way." And so are all the Mopars, from 273 to 360, from 361-440, and from 426 - 572

I always bring number one piston up to tdc,with crank dot at 12 o'clock and cam dot at 6 o'clock (dot to dot) then drop the dizzy in on time and im ready to rip.

Dart 273 you are correct on this one as well as Old Kimmer. I rolled the engine around and the rotor is pointing at the # 6 cylinder. When i saw the post that read that the mark was supposed to be at 12 o clock on BOTH timing gears, I looked on the web and saw a picture on HOT ROD'S website that showed A SB mopar with the marks aligined at 12. However I asked a mechanic friend of mine about this and he confirmed that on a 4 stroke engine the crankshaft will make a complete revolution and the camshaft in unison will only make a 180 degree turn. Thanks for all your assistance.

You would not be the first to be thrown by this monkey.

Hold on guys I think we got off on the wrong foot and started a pissing contest ....LOL
the original question was that he had end play in his cam but he has the gears right according to Ma Mopar . At that point (marks at 6 cam &12 crank )it doesn't matter what cylinder is firing or not . Once you get thew front cover on and the damper you turn the engine to the 0 tdc mark and line up the damper to the 0 on timing pointer at that point you are then ready to drop[ the dist. in pointing to the first intake bolt.

by this time I have turned the engine over half a dozen times and cant tell you where the marks on the gears are cuz it don't matter as long as you tdc the engine on compression stroke before dropping in the dist.
Sorry if I started something

6 o'clock cam dot lined up to 12 o'clock crank dot = #6 firing.

Look at the #1 intake lobe/lifter, you'll see it approaching/on the ramp for the lobe.

Once it barfs back up through the carb while cranking, most get it figured out.

6 o'clock cam dot lined up to 12 o'clock crank dot = #6 firing.

Look at the #1 intake lobe/lifter, you'll see it approaching/on the ramp for the lobe.

Once it barfs back up through the carb while cranking, most get it figured out.

Come to think of it....( not sure if I am just making myself think this or if this is what actually happened.....been a couple years ago since I built it now ) when I put my dusters engine in ... ( I had ran it to tdc,cam dot at 6 o'clock and crank dot at 12 o'clock) I think I recall that I dropped my distributor pointing at number 1......and when I tried firing it up (like crackedback mentioned) it either belched out the carb and made sound out the exhaust like it was under water...... so right then I knew I was 180 out at I pulled the dizzy ,flipped it,dropped it back in and it fired right up.

I wasnt aware it had to be dropped on #6

-
Back