Duster front end alignment?

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put in a PST polygraphite kit in the front suspension in my 70 Duster. Never did one before, so did one side at a time so could compare if I wasn't sure on things. I matched lengths on each of the new tie rod ends and sleeves with the ones that came off. Lowered it off the jackstands, and wheels were not close to being in line. I turned the sleeves until they were close, but the right side is lengthened way out, while the left side is shortened almost to it's stops. It's not going to the alignment shop till the snow melts, but is there something that jumps out at you guys that I should double check?
Thanks

..centre your drag link first i.e. exactly half the turns lock to lock
upper bushings both all in,turn rear out until 0 camber(tire verticle)
adjust tie rods for 1/8 toe in
that will be close and will take a few tries

Thanks, I'll do that. Just seemed strange to me that the two tie rods should be so different. I was just worried I messed something else up.

Also look at your steering wheel and center your centerlink and make sure steering wheel is centered up. Make all your tierod adjustments at this point and lenths will be more equal. You didn't mess anything up and you will be good to go to aligement shop.

I'll bet, as above, you steering box is not centered, that is, the mid point of lock to lock. Make sure you count turns carefully, and IF IF the steering wheel is correct, it will be right side up and centered as well.

Auh did you roll the car back and forth to settle the suspension before trying to adjust the toe?. Like above you need to center steering wheel first then set toe.

while we are on this subject,as i have to take my drag car dart to the alignment shop,after installing a tubular front end,whats a good drag strip alignment

Don't make any adjustments until the steering wheel is locked down in the center.

Working on this today. I ensured the steering wheel was centered, went lock to lock and the steering wheel looked straight when at the mid point. But the tie rods are still shortened to the limit on the right, and very long on the left. Measured them and from center of inner to outer tie rod end was about 12 inches on the left and 14 on the right. Is it possible to pull the pitman arm, center the tie rods sleeves and make the wheels match, then reinstall the pitman arm on the steering gear without changing the position of the center link? If I recall the pitman arm had splines requiring it to fit a certain position.

My bad, they are long on the right, and short on the left side of the vehicle. Also, are the tie rod ends longer on one side? Is it possible I mixed up the right and left sides? Sleeves are both about 8 inches.

Taking a different angle at it, I verified the steering wheel was centered and adjusted the right wheel so it eyeballed straight. Doing that it has about 3/4 in of thread showing, which I'd be happy with. However the left wheel has the sleeve screwed in all the way and the wheel still is pointed about 15 degrees in.

Well first thing to do is determine if the front wheels are actually straight ahead with the steering centered. You can do that with a long straightedge along the tire

The tie rod assemblies are completely symmetrical and made of the same parts. The two sleeves are the same, and both inner ends are the same, as are both outers the same. You can reverse the side for side, and reverse them inner/ outer, which drives the front end guys nuts, because the sleeves turn "the wrong direction."

I've forgotten, I think the pitman spline is keyed ever 1/4 turn but I could be wrong there.

You sure you got the right center link? I'm guessing that 66/ earlier is different from 67/ later

Other than that, accident damage?

How far offset is it?

As far as I remember, the tie rods were about even on both sides before I put the PST stuff on, so don't think accident damage should be the issue. Also I put on a Firmfeel power steering box, the car had manual steering before. I am assuming it is original equipment, but not sure how I would tell otherwise. I am posting a couple pics ( well, trying to) showing the wheels on both sides. This is up on jacks, but you should be able to see the difference. Steering wheel is centered at this time.

Thanks for the interest, I have to be missing something here, but don't know what.

Attachments

• duster left1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 252
  • duster right1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 254
Camber will play tricks on you with the tie rods. Take it to an alignment shop before you make drastic changes. You will probably be ok . Looks like a very nice straight car.

Sounds good, will let them look at it when the snow melts. Thanks guys!

-
Back