Duster Front End

-

ITSA34T

Reaction score
I needed to raise the front end on my 1974 Duster,(tires were rubbing on fender wells). I turned the height adjusting bolts clockwise to achieve proper height. All was fine until the vehicle was moved. The front end dropped right back down. Tried 3 times. As soon as you start to move the car, the front end goes right back down! What gives?

Crank it to the top. Roll the car back and forth at least a total of 8 ft. Then start lowering it to where you want it. If the front tires come off the ground for the adjustment, then the car has to be rolled after that adjustment,to relax the suspension and tires. All the bushings were installed at the lower ride height and tightened there. They are pre-loading the suspension to that lower ride height. You will have to overpower that preload. They can be very stiff.
Slant six bars are weak to start with so if that's what you have,don't expect much.
If you loosen the LCA inner pivot nut two turns and bop the pin in a few thou, it will relax the preload there. Set the ride height, then tighten the nuts at ride height, after the last relaxation roll.

Last edited:
And if they're the original undersized torsion bars that have sagged you may not get much height even with the adjusters maxed out.

Did you get new rims or tires? Is the interference a new problem?

Best way is to use alignment turn plates. Loosen the pivot nuts as mentioned above. Adjust height on plates bounce f/e before measure. You will need and alignment after anyways. Camber and toe will change with any height adjustment.
Mike Z.

-
Back