Duster front window trim - gasket flap

-

340kid

Reaction score
question - put the front windshield back in my sons Duster, the lower gasket has a "flap" my understanding from viewing other posts is that the locking strip does not go in the lower gasket, someoine said the flap gets tucked into the opening where the locking strip goes in ??? another member said he cut his off ?

by looking at it, it seems the trim will not sit flat unless it is cut off !

What is the correct way to get the trim on, the lower trim is wider where the clips attach - does the flap just rest in this space ?

please help

340kid

I'm not familiar with the Dusters window gasket but I can tell you that some gaskets use a lockstrip in some areas and self locking in others. 67->69 vert gasket is one example. Self locking on 3 sides, lockstrip along the bottom only. If you study the profiles of voids in the gasket you should be able to tell if it is meant to self lock or if a lock strip goes in there.

A pic of what you have would help. When Speedy Auto Glass did our 72 duster they put the windshield into the gasket and layed it into the frame. The bottom flap intact. They used butyl inside the gasket as well as all around the frame. The locking strip does not go into the bottom portion of the gasket. Sides and across the top only. You should see 2 lips on the lower frame (cowl) where the flap sits behind. The clips to hold the trim is out further and clears the gasket. Hope this helps.

thanks - i will try to post a pic later, the flap looks like it wants to go down towards the cowl naturally, so exactly where does it tuck into ?
nothing goes into the lower channel where the locking strip is in on the sides and top ?

thanks - i will try to post a pic later, the flap looks like it wants to go down towards the cowl naturally, so exactly where does it tuck into ?
nothing goes into the lower channel where the locking strip is in on the sides and top ?

The flap doesn't fit into anything. It lays flat on the cowl. There should be 2 tabs on the cowl (lower windshield frame), one on drivers side and one on pass side, the flap sits back of these tabs.

And yes the locking strip only goes in on the top and sides. The weight of the windshield and butyl hold the bottom of the windshield gasket (flap) in place and provides a weatherproof seal.

-
Back