Duster Help

-

Buckeye440

Reaction score
Ok everyone, not to sound dumb but can you help me confirm which rear end and engine this could be? I have an idea and know what I was told. Thanks in advance!
20170620_194448.jpg
01515_1fvtwY9H2et_1200x900.jpg

Engine from that info could be anything from 273--360

Start by looking at the top driver's side block head parting line at very front of engine. There should be a long stamped number on there and the CID is usually the first several figures, I think 3-4-5. if not look under on side of block for casting number I think it's towards the rear of the block side on driver side

Here

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

Rear axle ID chart:

Mopar_rear_id.jpg

I've referenced that chart before and it sure seems to me that it is the 7 1/4, however I was told it has an 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears. Also, I was told it was a 360. This is the only picture I was able to get from the seller of the front of the engine.

unnamedb.jpg

unnamed.jpg

If the person who told you that's an 8 3/4" is the same person that told you that's a 360, it probably isn't. It will say what engine it is on the side of the block. (Forgot which side.)
If it has an OEM balancer/damper, a 360 should have a counterweighted ring sticking out of the front around the crank pulley, or a section cut out of the outer ring. Although, there is a "small" chance that it could be an internally balanced 360 and uses a neutral/flat faced balancer/damper.

001.jpg
DSC02935.jpg

I've referenced that chart before and it sure seems to me that it is the 7 1/4, however I was told it has an 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears. Also, I was told it was a 360. This is the only picture I was able to get from the seller of the front of the engine.

View attachment 1715059412

Look right there at the parting line to the block head. On the block there should be a long string of numbers stamped

I already told you this above^^

The 8 3/4 is the only Mopar rear axle that has a removable third member and not a rear cover

The seller initially said he wasn't sure about the rear because he bought it "as-is" but would look into trying to find the info I asked of him. He has claimed 360 since the very get-go but just today called me back with the updated info. All together after the new info he says 360, 727, 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears.

Look right there at the parting line to the block head. On the block there should be a long string of numbers stamped

I already told you this above^^

The 8 3/4 is the only Mopar rear axle that has a removable third member and not a rear cover
Unfortunately, this is the best image I have of the area so I cant distinguish much at all and judging from the amount of paint I'm not sure you could in person unless you removed some paint. And yes, I never believed it had the 8 3/4 when he told me.

I was sent this image as well. Again, thanks for the help that has come so quickly!
bn.jpg

If all you have to go by is photos, the seller will have to take some good photos showing some distinctive 360 characteristics. i.e.: balancer/damper, block casting # or actual engine size casting number. He already lied about the rear, so who knows about the condition? (Blue silicone on the hot exhaust?) Or if he doesn't know enough to recognize the rear, he probably can't recognize the engine. If he's not within a convenient distance so you can confirm it yourself, and you could also inspect & drive it, I'd consider looking elsewhere....unless it's a VERY good deal and you don't have high expectations..

If all you have to go by is photos, the seller will have to take some good photos showing some distinctive 360 characteristics. i.e.: balancer/damper, block casting # or actual engine size casting number. He already lied about the rear, so who knows about the condition? (Blue silicone on the hot exhaust?) Or if he doesn't know enough to recognize the rear, he probably can't recognize the engine. If he's not within a convenient distance so you can confirm it yourself, and you could also inspect & drive it, I'd consider looking elsewhere....unless it's a VERY good deal and you don't have high expectations..
Here's the original ad (hope no one scoops it out from under me haha):
1971 plymouth duster very clean v8 727 auto runs excel

That car has "flipper" written all over it...my advice..run, run away!

If the person who told you that's an 8 3/4" is the same person that told you that's a 360, it probably isn't. It will say what engine it is on the side of the block. (Forgot which side.)
If it has an OEM balancer/damper, a 360 should have a counterweighted ring sticking out of the front around the crank pulley, or a section cut out of the outer ring. Although, there is a "small" chance that it could be an internally balanced 360 and uses a neutral/flat faced balancer/damper.

View attachment 1715059415View attachment 1715059416

Well it's definitely not an 8 3/4 with 3.73's. Rear cover that's oval shaped and has 5 bolts on the lower half screams 8 1/4. A 340 car would have come with an 8 3/4 in 1971 (I need to double check that though). So the car probably started out with a 318, which might still be in it. Seller claims 360 and 727, which is possible if it was swapped in but definitely not factory.

The only way to know what it is would be to see for yourself. Either the seller is an idiot and doesn't know what he's got, or he's trying to pass it off as something it isn't.

It could be an alright car but proceed with caution.

Well it's definitely not an 8 3/4 with 3.73's. Rear cover that's oval shaped and has 5 bolts on the lower half screams 8 1/4. A 340 car would have come with an 8 3/4 in 1971 (I need to double check that though). So the car probably started out with a 318, which might still be in it. Seller claims 360 and 727, which is possible if it was swapped in but definitely not factory.

The only way to know what it is would be to see for yourself. Either the seller is an idiot and doesn't know what he's got, or he's trying to pass it off as something it isn't.

It could be an alright car but proceed with caution.
I knew it wasn't a factory setup because I decoded the VIN prior to contacting him, which is fine. Just really want to clarify what the car ACTUALLY has currently.

vl29c1b374282

Body Type: V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
Price Class: L = Low
Body Type: 29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Engine: C = 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Year: 1 = 1971
Sequence Number: 374282 = 274282nd Vehical Built

Not trying to dog you out. If your just trying to get in the hobby and learn, I think your setting up yourself for disappointment with this car. If you decide to go look at it please find someone who knows a little something as far as what to look at because apparently the seller doesn't have a clue. I hate to see people spend their money on something that's not near what it's portrayed as. There is no way that rear end is 8 3/4. It's 7 1/4 by looking at the bolt pattern. The "fresh" motor appears to be freshly painted and the pictures indicate a "hacked" assembly process to me, which would make me wonder what else is just slapped together. Please understand I'm not trying to turn you off of an older car or make you lose interest in the hobby. A quickey paint job with good tires etc doesn't make a good car.

I knew it wasn't a factory setup because I decoded the VIN prior to contacting him, which is fine. Just really want to clarify what the car ACTUALLY has currently.

vl29c1b374282

Body Type: V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
Price Class: L = Low
Body Type: 29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Engine: C = 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Year: 1 = 1971
Sequence Number: 374282 = 274282nd Vehical Built

Not that it really matters but I wonder if the rear end is original. My '73 came with a 225 and 8 1/4 but I haven't seen a '71 with that same setup.

If you really want the car I think you're going to have to go and look at it in person. Check if it's got a 727 and not a 904, and look at the numbers on the engine block. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to know what it's got once you see it.

I might be a cheap bastard but to me that car is falling into the 4 to 6 thousand dollar range..... ehhh maybe 7... not seeing it in person.

I know for the most part of what I'm looking at, I'm only "just getting into the hobby" because I've been saving up money for a little while now. Mopars have been all my family drives, what with my late grandfather retiring from Chrysler decades ago. We've always worked on our own cars, one of which being my father's Challenger. That being said I've just been looking/asking about this one because of the somewhat vagueness and lack of knowledge of the current owner. Because of all the "not knowing" and now having gone to check it out I will indeed be passing on this one. Would love to finally find my own old Mopar.

Last edited:
This kind of shows you where to find the casting numbers:
upload_2017-6-21_20-3-2.jpeg

Should be like that on both sides. The three digits in between the two dashs is the engine size.

As for the car? I doubt it has a 340 even though it has the callouts. With that engine colour and the black engine bay. Looks like it was done by a chevy guy. So he probably doesn't know what he's talking about. And hard to say what else he is wrong on. The other problem with that is chevy guys tend to build mopars "wrong". There's lots of little tricks and stuff to them that chevy guys just don't pay attention to.

That said. If the paint is as nice as it looks. And the interior as decent as it looks. It's an 6g-8g car. Maybe. Really depends on that driveline. I'd almost guess its a 318/904/8-1/4 setup. Even with a 360 its not "worth" more. 360's are super common. Not that they aren't good engines. If it has a 340/727 setup. It might be worth more. Depends on how that motor runs. Hard to tell anything from an ad. So much miss-representation.

But to me. Definitely built buy a non-mopar guy. We tend to be sticklers about things like block colour/bay colour. And I hope we ALL know the difference between an 8-1/4 and 8-3/4.

I do appreciate everyone's input. Just trying to find a nice, not TOO expensive toy.

You may be able to haggle him down a lot or piss him off going pointing out all the incorrect parts he stated was on the car. But i would ask half of what he wants for it. You never know what is under that fresh paint. My barracuda had fresh paint job on it. When I got it home and started looking into it had a lot of covered up rust. Check all for all trim pieces. Interior pieces. All that adds up to more money. The motor install looks really crappy from the pictures that price is really high in my opinion. Find someone in your area on this site to go look with you most guys would love to go check a car out. Good luck. BUYER BEWARE!

I do appreciate everyone's input. Just trying to find a nice, not TOO expensive toy.
your on the right track junior
but that car doesnt look right
too many things that make you question the seller or builders integrity

Not that it really matters but I wonder if the rear end is original. My '73 came with a 225 and 8 1/4 but I haven't seen a '71 with that same setup.

Flat line rise on left side indicates 7.25.
Its a small bolt 4 wheel drum car. There were no small bolt 8.25's and the 8.25 wasnt used until 73.

Not to be a dick, but that cars got a strong perfume odor. Body lines look muddy, crooked bumper, black engine bay, blue silicone all over, engine paint peeling off dirty block, etc...Check it over carefully before you offer half asking.

-
Back