Duster hood alignment

-

340wedge

Reaction score
Is there an adjustment to align a (1971) Duster hood from side to side, so the gaps by the fenders are equal? Do I need to shim it? The latch mechanism doesn't have enough play it to make the gap equal. The passenger side gap is larger than the drivers.

On my 69 Dart, I ended up shimming the hood over. Do you have the rubber bumpers in place? They help position the hood.

On my 69 Dart, I ended up shimming the hood over. Do you have the rubber bumpers in place? They help position the hood.

I do have the bumpers. I will try the shims Thank you:coffee2:

Just move the fender side to side to make it fit thats how its designed.

I'm not an expert, but, when setting body panels, you are supposed to set the door panels to the quarter panels, since they are your constant. Then set the fenders to the doors, and set the hood to the cowl, and fenders. If you move the fenders in or out, it could change the relation to the doors. Then you have to reset the doors if you can. And then you will have odd gaps at the fender/ cowl. If all else is good, and you just need some small movement, although I don't like them, a shim, to me, is best.

Make sure the car is on its suspension. It makes a difference. Align door to quarter & rocker. Put fenders & hood on, keeping all bolts loose. It can be a pain in the ***. I have been known to take hours aligning one side.

Odd timing that this post came back up but...I just finished restoring the sharktooth grill in the Duster and found that the brace that houses the latch, that runs from fender to fender is adjustable. I moved it about an 1/8 of an inch and my hood gaps at the fenders are now perfect.

YOU brought it back to the top after seven years! I adjusted the hood on my Duster last weekend (and installed a sharktooth also) and it still needs just a little more side to side. I'll check out your tip. Thanks

-
Back