Duster ignition

-

MoparMatt77

Reaction score
so my 73 duster roadkill will fire and almost idle, I threw in a new super coil and hei ignition module. But I can only start it crossing the starter posts and no charging. Alternator is on the way but turning the key will not run the starter and the transformer, solenoid or whatever it is next to the battery clicks. I tried searching for the parts at the auto store website but I'm not sure what I need.

Starting at the ignition what parts do I need to replace, is there a complete harness out there?

Please post PNs

You may not need ANY parts

Detail what is wrong. It won't crank? (the engine doesn't rotate on the starter?)

Or it does crank and won't fire/ run?

Sounds like it won't crank (rotate)

The "transformer thing" is the STARTER RELAY

The two small "push on" connectors are the magnetic coil. One of these must be grounded in park / neutral (automatic) or grounded by clutch pedal switch when depressed

The other gets power from key during "crank."

If the starter relay clicks ONCE but the starter does not operate, it is likely a bad starter relay

Oh it fires I've had it running and idling, but turning the key does not actuate the starter

Start with that relay(starter.) You should be able to get one from the parts store. Pretty cheap

I'm having that same issue on my 76 and I've changed the starter relay and still won't start with the key

No clicking or buzzing or anything

You say this^^ but earlier you said this:

"but turning the key will not run the starter and the transformer, solenoid or whatever it is next to the battery clicks."

So which is it?

Is this a stick or automatic?

If a stick one of the blade terminals on the starter relay goes to the CLUTCH SWITCH, which grounds when the pedal is pressed

If automatic, it is grounded in PARK or NEUTRAL

Get a test lamp / meter

"Rig" your meter or use two people. Look for 12V when twisting key to "start" on one of the two blade / push on terminals

Also try moving the shifter from park --neutral while twisting the key.

Identify the grounding terminal of the starter relay. This is the wire (automatic) that goes down the bell housing to the transmission. Pull that loose and hook an aligator clip to that blade terminal and clip to ground, see if it will crank. Be CAREFUL it will start in any gear

You say this^^ but earlier you said this:

"but turning the key will not run the starter and the transformer, solenoid or whatever it is next to the battery clicks."

So which is it?

Is this a stick or automatic?

If a stick one of the blade terminals on the starter relay goes to the CLUTCH SWITCH, which grounds when the pedal is pressed

If automatic, it is grounded in PARK or NEUTRAL

Get a test lamp / meter

"Rig" your meter or use two people. Look for 12V when twisting key to "start" on one of the two blade / push on terminals

Also try moving the shifter from park --neutral while twisting the key.

Identify the grounding terminal of the starter relay. This is the wire (automatic) that goes down the bell housing to the transmission. Pull that loose and hook an aligator clip to that blade terminal and clip to ground, see if it will crank. Be CAREFUL it will start in any gear

It's automatic, I'm sure it needs a relay this one is rusting away.

The only reason I flip flopped on the clicking is because I didn't want anyone to get confused. It only clicks once when turning the key at the relay and it is very faint. So I should've omitted that detail.

OK if the relay clicks it is trying to actuate, so the coil is good. Your most likely problem at this point is the relay itself

-
Back