Duster Mirror cable length

-

mitch340Duster

Reaction score
Becoming embarrassed about how much posting I've been doing....
'70 Duster. I'm saying that with what I have there is NO WAY that my left remote, round mirror is going to play nicely with the window. I find no way to position the cables out of the way enough so that the window doesn't hit them on the way up.
Having my mirror rechromed meant having to remove the cable assembly. I remember using at least one other mirror for parts and for trial and error with crimping the cable stuff back together. The only thing that makes sense to me is that maybe whatever donor mirror I ended-up with had shorter cables than the original.
Also there's a cable guide/bracket that goes in-there somewhere but I also can't find any sensible place to mount it. My disassembly notes from 7 years ago say "this bracket fell-out when removing a bolr so I don't know exactly where it goes". Great. At least my record keeping is accurate.
The mirror I'm getting nowhere with has a cable that is about 15" long.
Thanks in-advance for any ideas.

On a Demon with rallye mirrors, the driver side is approx. 29 1/2" long from the base of the mirror to the end of the remote adjusting wand.

I can't imagine the round style mirror being much different in length....

X2 on the length, mine is out of a 73 duster, and it gets a clip that holds it out of the way of the glass, and attaches to the horizontal door reinforcement.
Andrew

The 73's and newer take longer cables then the 70 to 72. Do to the location of the inside control knob on the door. There is a bracket up in the top front corner of the door. The bolt that holds it on is under the weather strip. If you need pics of the different mirror cable lengths side by side I have several of both styles . I also have the brackets for pics. there are also plastic push clips that wrap around the cables to fasten them to the inner door. behind the door panel. It sucks getting to all of these locations in the door. But it can be done.

OK thanks for your time. I'll see what I can figure out on my own before asking for the pics, Old Man. Thanks again

The difference in cable lengths stems from was there a vent window or not.
With a vent window a short cable is fine. Without a vent window a longer cable is required to go around the larger door glass and channel. I think the cables you need are about 28 inches long
The cables can be removed from the controller end and backed out along with the mirror glass assembly rather than fight those tiny ferrules crimped on.

I never saw a sport mirror on a car with vent glass from the factory. A body mirrors are unique to the 70 -76 sport body style. Except for the early cuda style and they were totally different.

70-72 were short cables sport mirrors. 73-76 were long cable sport mirrors. Like I stated the only difference in the door was the 70-72 control mounted on the upper metal interior door(Short cable). The 73 -76 mounted on the lower door panel. (long cable) They also had different interior mounting hardware 70 -72 was 2 piece. 73-76 was 3 piece. Can be interchange but not correctly. I tried and I made them work but some adjustment required.

I never saw a sport mirror on a car with vent glass from the factory. A body mirrors are unique to the 70 -76 sport body style. Except for the early cuda style and they were totally different.

70-72 were short cables sport mirrors. 73-76 were long cable sport mirrors. Like I stated the only difference in the door was the 70-72 control mounted on the upper metal interior door(Short cable). The 73 -76 mounted on the lower door panel. (long cable) They also had different interior mounting hardware 70 -72 was 2 piece. 73-76 was 3 piece. Can be interchange but not correctly. I tried and I made them work but some adjustment required.

He didn't specify sport mirror but he did say "round mirror".
Everyone can be correct. Just depends on what mirror he has.

Can anyone post a picture or give a measurement for the remote control hole on the driver's door?
I'm adding Sport mirrors to my 71 Demon.
Thanks Ron

RJS, if this is the style of mirror you have, the hole is 7/8. This sport mirror is from a 73 Duster.

Attachments

• remotemir.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 243
RJS, if this is the style of mirror you have, the hole is 7/8. This sport mirror is from a 73 Duster.

Thanks Keith but I was going to let the UNIBIT figure out the size.

What I'm after is a picture or measurement of upper door panel to show how far from Demon plastic applique hole is or how far from door edge to hole.
Thanks Ron

I'd post a pic of mine, but it was mounted a long time ago & is in the WRONG spot :banghead: :eek:ops:

so. how long is the cable on a remote, round mirror on a 68 barracuda?:silent:

Sorry, I have NO clue on a Cuda. Somebody here knows though......

Bump for an answer for 'ya :thumblef:

thanks again guys....RJS I can help you with that but not until Tuesday. Let me know if you still need the measurement. I got hold of a long cable length mirror now I need to get another new glass to complete the switch-over. Aye Carumba.
On that note if anyone knows of a crimp clamp or something that I can use to hold the cables to the mirror end that'd be great. last time I JB welded 'em in there and it seemed to work but I'd rather crimp it if I can. I didn't want to mess with the adjuster end.

-
Back