Duster - Modified dash

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When it comes to replacing the instiment cluster on the Duster, what did you guys use for the trun signal lights?

Also, I asked a few guys with the Redline or Something Fast Lane West or something like that, dash replacement inserts if the larger 2-5/8 gauges fit OK. I know one of them, Fastlane I beileve has the holes precut @ 2-1/16.

(No pictures yet guys! )

Did anybody wonder about enlargeing the holes? If it can be done.

Today, I figured out most of the OE connector wires and what there for. On the circular plug.

The fastlane is 2 1/16.

100_0789.jpg

The centers on the holes aren't right to be expanded to 2 5/8". You'd also have issues with the headlight switch as I had to mod mine slightly anyway to get the stock one to fit with the 2 1/16" gauges.

You'll probably find that you'll be "ditching" a lot of wires in the circular plug...I know I did.

As far as the turn signal indicators...I don't know...they came with the fast lane west setup.

Thanks dude! I wa wanting to use a pair of guages I allready have. The old MP guages that look like the Autometer Z series. They say "Mopar Performance on them, all black, white numbers and red pointer. But there 2-5/8 sized. Also stick with the "AMP" guage.

I don't think I'd want to keep running an amp gauge. I have the MAD type amp gauge bypass in my car and the electrical system has never worked this good. That's just me though.

Either way, using 2 5/8" in the dash is going to be super tight if its even possible....well at least if you're using 4 of them combined with a tach and speedometer.

I'm not getting into a AMP vs Volts gauge thing.

I'm not sure what route I'm gonna take now. The Z series doesn't come in 2-5/8, only 2-1/16.

Ahhhhhh, cooooooooooool

Thanks man!

Myself I used the stock cluster housing like the one shown and had a piece of billet alum cut (shaped) to fit the area where the stock guages are. Once I decided the lay-out of the guages I want the frame will be painted and Billet piece drilled and attached.

Cheaper then buying the one shown above. I did consider going Rocky Mountain but they have dissolved.

VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to look into this!!

Anyone have a template for me? :)

I used the original dash - same everything - used the die cast alu framework on the back along with the circuit board - had to do some serious modifying to mount the big gauges in the dash - but I think it turned out pretty nice - Reindeer

Attachments

• 100_1099.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 100_1100.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_1102.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_1103.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_1104.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 339
LOL & WOW!!!! Thanks for posting the dash. Nice work.
5 inch speedo/tach?
I also have to say, wow! On digging up one very old thread first posted in '09! WOW!
You sure went looking. I guess winter will do that.

So little winter, so many threads! Ha ha ha ha

Believe it or not I just clicked on most recent posts and yours popped up - didn't even look at the date - Oh Well ...

Not to high jack the thread, but if you are using all aftermarket gauges, is the circuit board the was originally installed even need? I assumed that once all the gauges were hooked up, the original wires and circuit board were trashed??

When I did VDO gauges in my 67 barracuda, I clipped the round connector on the dash and terminated them with molex-style pin connectors.. I used a 12-hole connector from Radio Shack and crimpers to create my own dash harness plug.. If you go my route, buy extras-- they never give you enough barrel and pin connectors to screw up in any way :)

I used the original factory wiring for the sensors (seemed easier than running my own wire), as well as a painless dash wiring harness.. It wasn't painless, and it certainly wasn't clean.. The next time I do a dash (soon enough-- the slantillac needs good gauges and I happen to have these VDOs laying around after a kid wrecked my parked barracuda..!) I'm going to do my own dash wiring.. The Painless set-up wasn't worth writing home about.. AND, tons of extra ground wires I didn't use.. Maybe its because I used a 4-in-1 marine gauge.. all 4 gauges grounded commonly..) In

Long answer to a short question-- nah, put the circuitboards on a shelf somewhere so when someone with a factory dash breaks a pin, they'll be able to just pop yours in instead of doing the fool's errand of trying to repair 40 year old circuit boards.. :)

Raj

Not to high jack the thread, but if you are using all aftermarket gauges, is the circuit board the was originally installed even need? I assumed that once all the gauges were hooked up, the original wires and circuit board were trashed??

-
Back