duster power steering help needed

-

moparmade43

Reaction score
Guys, I had a bad power steering leak on the top of my power steering gear box on my duster, its a 1975. I took the valve body off the top of the gear box. It only had two bolts holding it on, and the o-rings were bad around the pressure line and return line, so I replaced them, as well as the o-ring around the spring. I just barely snugged the valve body back on, making sure that it was all the way down first, and started it up to check for leaks. No leaks now, but the car self steers all the way to the right now on its own when it is fired up. Is there a way to adjust that? It mentions in my manual something about centering the valve, but I never took the spool valve out or anything, just took the valve body itself off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Slightly loosen the 2 bolts that hold the valve to the top of the box and very lightly tap the valve towards the back of the car. Only 1/16" or so.....barely move it. Tighten the 2 bolts and start the car. See if the steering wheel is not kicking as far as before.

Could need to go the opposite direction...can't recall whether you need to go forward or back.

Trial and error.....a little bit each time.

CAUTION....Keep your arms and hands clear of the wheel spokes.

Slightly loosen the 2 bolts that hold the valve to the top of the box and very lightly tap the valve towards the back of the car. Only 1/16" or so.....barely move it. Tighten the 2 bolts and start the car. See if the steering wheel is not kicking as far as before.

Could need to go the opposite direction...can't recall whether you need to go forward or back.

Trial and error.....a little bit each time.

CAUTION....Keep your arms and hands clear of the wheel spokes.

Damn you beat me to it, The only thing I can ad is make sure the front of the car is off the ground, start it up and with a hammer tap the valve forwards or backwards until it stays neutral. One of the easiest adjusments you'll ever do on your Mopar.

If the car isn't jacked up already , lift the front tires off the ground then follow valve centering aproach suggested above.

-
Back