Duster Rally gauge lights

-

mistreta

Reaction score
Getting my Duster Rally bezel restored, when I get it back probably would be a good time to replace all the gauge lights. They all work, but seem a little dull. Anyway their 47 years old.
Do they make factory replacements, better after market? Where is a good place to buy?

Thanks
Tony in Mi

you have 4 illumination and 4 indicators = 8 total. OEM was #158, #194 is a common replacement. Sylvania #2825 ( what I use ) is a slightly brighter long life bulb.
Then there are LED replacements. They're much brighter but at a cost. LEDs are polarity dependent where your bulb sockets are not polarized. You would need to bench test and rotate sockets 180 as needed to get LEDs to work.
In any case... The quality of that socket is as important as the bulb itself. Plastic gets brittle with age. The tiny tangs that secure these sockets can snap off, like just when you think you had it whipped.

As well as to Reds recommendations, I would recommend a headlight relay kit. That and leds in dads 67 cuda helped brighten the dash lights

By the way, Phillips now offers a premium quality LED for this application ( find them at Amazon ). They aren't cheap but in reality you really only need the 4 for illumination. OEM type bulbs serve the purpose at indicators.

By the way, Phillips now offers a premium quality LED for this application ( find them at Amazon ). They aren't cheap but in reality you really only need the 4 for illumination. OEM type bulbs serve the purpose at indicators.

Any recommendation on where to buy?

Thank you

Your best option is online at Amazon or Ebay.

BTW, I have been using LED's for all my dash lights and exterior lighting except headlights and in 4 years have not lost one bulb anywhere.
It offsets the cost I think.

Amazon.com: Philips 194 Bright White Interior Vision LED light, 2 Pack: Automotive
That's just for example. They may offer a cool white also. I don't know nor have I used any of the LEDs out there. I'm actually quite fond of the dim coke bottle green glow over black screen classic/oem look.
Its all about personal preference though.
Another point... In general, a LED isn't as dimmable like OEM incandescent. I have read that the cluster type LEDs found on ebay do dim a little.

-
Back