Duster Rear-Defroster/Defogger?

Mopar General Discussions

1. 74Dusted

74Dusted Stock Piler of 340's

Local Time:
    4:48 AM
    A small 12V cigarette lighter style heater could be added, I suppose. But they draw absurd amounts of power and could potentially burn the car to the ground (seen it happen before)

My '74 has the Rear Defroster (Vent & Blower Motor. factory option) and my '72 Demon has the Rear Defogger (in the glass. factory option). I've never even used the Defroster on my Duster, it's not like you can actually see anything through the rear window to begin with :D Add a bit of a Rake to the way the car sits, and a spoiler, the rear window instantly becomes a "for appearance only" type item :D

The Rear Defogger style Glass is still available, I called a glass place about it after I bought my Demon, thinking it'd be nice to swap my '74 Duster over to the Defogger instead of the original Defroster... Brace yourself...

$1,100 for the Rear Glass (tinted) with the Defogger built in :wack:

As far as the front defrosters go, if you speed the motor up or try to push more air, chances are it'll make it worse, since the increased speed will just make it blow cooler air. You could always add a Defogger strip to the bottom of the windshield (like on the 1996 and newer Caravans). I believe JC Whitney sells those kits to add the Defogger to the glass.

2. glhx

glhx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:48 AM
    the front air is warm enough...it just doesnt have any power.....it like low and medium speed....a cigar lighter could work if the element was engaged all the time (pressed down) and as log as it was contained it should be ok. it wouldnt be on for more than ten minutes....is there another way to get a cigarette lighter to do this...or something safer

ive seen a defogger that fits my car....it just doesnt look clean for a 69 dart

3. 74Dusted

74Dusted Stock Piler of 340's

Local Time:
    Not an actual Cigar Lighter, one of the "Accessory" style heaters that plugs into your cigarette lighter (like an Ipod Adapter does, or a portable Trouble Light).

The reason I mentioned the dangers of using one, My grandfather once lit the dash on fire in his old work truck when the wiring couldn't handle the amount of power the portable heater was drawing.

4. theothergarth

theothergarth Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    yup, this is exactly how it looks on my 73

5. yellowdartdave

yellowdartdave RIP 1-5-12 Legendary Member

Local Time:
  6. blue missile

blue missile Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I went with a "Frost Fighter" system which can be found on the web.
    Andrew

Attached Files:

7. glhx

glhx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    im thinking of a heating element that gets hot like a soldering iron and heats the air....i want it to look somewhat factory and be pretty small.

i would mount it inside a metal piece of pipe in between the blower and the rear defroster duct

now i need to find something that gets hot enough to make a difference and use dc power....about as much power as a grid defroster.....maybe a resistor would work...

2ohm 100watt resistor ...
    running at 13.5volts ....dissipation would be 91watts....amps would be 7.....
    wire to run it would be #14 or 12.
    i think that could create enough heat to make the air warm....then with a variable switch i could raise and lower the voltage....a 75 watt bulb seems to make lots of heat and in a contained metal pipe it should be ok.

http://sunelectricheater.com/ .........and then there is this thing below....rated at 4 amps....its really small 1/8"....and can use any voltage it gets too hot though....1400°F

Attached Files:

8. glhx

glhx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    would installing ac help this by drying out the air?

9. 1970Duster

1970Duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:48 AM
    My 74 Duster 360 parts car has the modern grid type in the rear window. I'm putting that in my 1970 as well as the fold down rear seat. I want a clear view of the mofo I just left in the dust :twisted:

10. roadmouse

roadmouse Greasemonkey

Local Time:
    10:48 AM
    I've got the grid thingie on the back window of my 73 Duster... well I had the ... one day I came into the garage and that thing came unstuck from the glass somehow and several of the wires broke so its useless now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.