Duster Restoration

-

70burntrt

Reaction score
I picked up a 71 duster 318 AC automatic recently to fix up with my 17 son. At first I thought it was something we could do but now I think it’s going to be to much and need more body work than I can handle. We got a chance to really look at it today. The runs and drives but needs brake work. The frame rails are good. I just think it’s going to take longer than expected and my son just going to lose interest. I probably need to find a better car to keep him interested. It needs a new roof, trunk floor and quarters and or lower patches. I’m not sure what we’re going to do but this one might be back on the market again soon. If anyone is interested in it let me know. Thanks
992BB633-743D-40A3-8F60-EEE1F78B2B14.jpeg
03D9B1EB-C4B2-44DA-8EB7-B1285F02DCB4.jpeg
A32FDC28-C310-477C-83F8-C0EFE3A6A127.jpeg
0A06E32F-9215-4CDE-9984-F97F26C2519A.jpeg

I picked up a 71 duster 318 AC automatic recently to fix up with my 17 son. At first I thought it was something we could do but now I think it’s going to be to much and need more body work than I can handle. We got a chance to really look at it today. The runs and drives but needs brake work. The frame rails are good. I just think it’s going to take longer than expected and my son just going to lose interest. I probably need to find a better car to keep him interested. It needs a new roof, trunk floor and quarters and or lower patches. I’m not sure what we’re going to do but this one might be back on the market again soon. If anyone is interested in it let me know. Thanks View attachment 1715864997 View attachment 1715864999 View attachment 1715865000 View attachment 1715865001
Great project to start out with.

It seems like a pretty honest car & not messed with. Of course it will need some work, it's over 50 years old. I've seen Dusters in far worse shape re-done to be very nice cars. They are getting harder to find & prices are going up. A lot of these got scrapped when people were done with them too. I like Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports very much. The work that it needs, by your description, can be done & MOST parts are easy to get. I would keep it & work on it with your son. If he loses interest, he isn't that into cars. (17 is a tough age for kids) Work on it for yourself if you have the time & place to do it. If it were mine, I think I would keep it. If it's as bad as you say, you could always part it out, but it looks like a pretty solid car to me. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Last edited:
I picked up a 71 duster 318 AC automatic recently to fix up with my 17 son. At first I thought it was something we could do but now I think it’s going to be to much and need more body work than I can handle. We got a chance to really look at it today. The runs and drives but needs brake work. The frame rails are good. I just think it’s going to take longer than expected and my son just going to lose interest. I probably need to find a better car to keep him interested. It needs a new roof, trunk floor and quarters and or lower patches. I’m not sure what we’re going to do but this one might be back on the market again soon. If anyone is interested in it let me know. Thanks View attachment 1715864997 View attachment 1715864999 View attachment 1715865000 View attachment 1715865001
Great opportunity here! If you are squeamish about diving in, list it in the car for sale section of the forum and let it go to someone who will do the resto. Those were (are) great cars! I have a '70 340 car, and am thrilled by having it.

I found the car in Maryland where I live. Bought it from the 2nd owner a d the story I got from him was it was sold new out of Washington DC.

I am more familiar with b-bodies and have worked on them most of my life but the car we’re in better shape. The original cars now need so much more body work and most of the young gen don’t want to wait years to drive them. Not to mention the cost if you pay someone to do the work. I think what’s scaring me is the roof replacement.

03F037AC-B02D-4E98-9892-5BD6C50921F1.jpeg

9C707341-9686-44EC-8387-FBFBBC7853A2.jpeg

85B436E3-E5A7-4B01-94F2-6644D7C8D54F.jpeg

I found the car in Maryland where I live. Bought it from the 2nd owner a d the story I got from him was it was sold new out of Washington DC.

I am more familiar with b-bodies and have worked on them most of my life but the car we’re in better shape. The original cars now need so much more body work and most of the young gen don’t want to wait years to drive them. Not to mention the cost if you pay someone to do the work. I think what’s scaring me is the roof replacement.

View attachment 1715865096

View attachment 1715865097

View attachment 1715865098
Just like a house that needs rehab; most anything can be repaired! Go with your gut on this. Sell it to another FABO member or consider it a long-term project that you do as you acquire the skills. You won't get those skills unless you do the work. Most of all, have fun with the project.

It's obvious that you don't want a long term project for you and your son. Find someone who would replace the roof skin and the cost including the price of a roof skin. If that exceeds your budget to complete the car, then move on and remove the angst from your life.

Yeah, your probably right. We need a another project that’s more enjoyable for both of us. Any thoughts on what a car like this is worth. I’m not as familiar with current A-body values.

Yeah, your probably right. We need a another project that’s more enjoyable for both of us. Any thoughts on what a car like this is worth. I’m not as familiar with current A-body values.
Well, you paid something for it, correct?

A project like that is a good lesson in diligence and perseverance that kids now a days so lack.

Also a good dose of long term satisfaction because not everything in life can be right meow this second, at the push of a button. Some of the best things in life require an investment and take a good amount of time to mature into something perfect.

A project like that is a good lesson in diligence and perseverance that kids now a days so lack.

Also a good dose of long term satisfaction because not everything in life can be right meow this second, at the push of a button. Some of the best things in life require an investment and take a good amount of time to mature into something perfect.
Yeah your probably right but this might be to big of a commitment for a my teenager.

I would rather not say if I am about to sell it. PM me if your interested. I have a new passenger quarter and front rallies wheels to go with it. I also found a donor car for a roof.

I think you have your answer; best to sell it and find less of a project.
You are familiar with Mopars being a B body guy so you probably weren’t fleeced on the purchase price. Regardless, what we think it’s worth is a moot point since we haven’t invested in the car already.

-
Back