Duster Roof skin replacement..need help with drip rails

-

gunters96lt1

Reaction score
Guys,

I have searched and searched and wasn't able to find anything. I have started on replacing my roof skin on my 73 duster.

My question is, how are you guys drilling out the spot welds between the drip rail and roof? Not much room to work with. Can i get it with a normal spot weld bit?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Take a 3m 3 inch 3/16 or 1/4 grinding wheel and go down thru there carefully and grind the roof skin down carefully the metal will turn blue when it gets thin. It not hard just take your time and be careful not to grind into the drip rail.you can drill off the drip edge but it is extra work and hard to do unless the car is on a rotisserie.pm me if you need help..

Take a 3m 3 inch 3/16 or 1/4 grinding wheel and go down thru there carefully and grind the roof skin down carefully the metal will turn blue when it gets thin. It not hard just take your time and be careful not to grind into the drip rail.you can drill off the drip edge but it is extra work and hard to do unless the car is on a rotisserie.pm me if you need help..

I got one side done using a spot weld bit. I might try a grinding wheel on the other. Thanks for the help.

Are you replacing the roof skin with a new skin? If so where did you get it I've been searching and haven't been able to find anyone who sells it.

Are you replacing the roof skin with a new skin? If so where did you get it I've been searching and haven't been able to find anyone who sells it.

I am using a skin off my 72 parts car. I was unable to find a new unit myself.

-
Back