Duster sound systems

-

Notanova73

Reaction score
hello curious if there is any audiophiles here? My 73 duster has the fold down rear seat which is awesome for car audio subwoofer systems.anyone on here have a custom ported sub box built to fit into the rear section behind the fold down seat?

Had a pair of cerwin vega house speakers behind a pioneer gm120 amp. 30 years ago...
It rocked!

Personally, I prefer a sealed box, but you need to apply more power to get the same volume. You gain the ability to play lower frequencies. Enough to be noticeable to most people? You would if you were able to switch from one to the other, but you probably wouldn’t miss it otherwise. Also do you travel with your windows down, how noisy is your car, etc
For an older, noisy car, I would probably buy a premade, ported box, A five channel amp, and 6 inch component 2 ways in either door, or kick panel speakers upfront. Bi-amp the front speakers, and forget about rear speakers, the fold down backseat doesn’t leave a good location for rear speakers anyway.

I know alote about car audio .i only asked if anyone can show pics of a custom box for behind the fold down seat.

You’ll have to custom create a box. If you know the speaker requirements and can cut wood, then getting the proper internal dimensions for the speaker to properly respond is easy. Getting the shape of the external box to the shape you want is the challenge. Putting carpet over it is easy.

Radio Shack used to have a decent book on the subject. I built a few boxes with there guide lines and knowledge of the speaker. It worked excellent.

My last two Dusters aren’t cold down rear seat cars. (But I really like my ‘73 with it. That and the floor shifted manual trans & 3.21’s.)
So it’s just been two 6 X 9’s in the rear deck with a subwoofer backed by 2 amps. 90 nom, 180 X 2 max for the 6 X 9’s and 1 for the sub @ (IIRC, it’s been a while) a JBL amp & 450 max, ummm, 190/200 nom... I forget.
It rocks enough.

hello curious if there is any audiophiles here? My 73 duster has the fold down rear seat which is awesome for car audio subwoofer systems.anyone on here have a custom ported sub box built to fit into the rear section behind the fold down seat?

“.i only asked if anyone can show pics of a custom box for behind the fold down seat.”
Oh, sorry, I must have missed that somehow.

I have 2 Blaupunkt 6x9s in the rear and 2 6" JBL speakers in the door with an old school Kicker amp in the rear with a good USB DAC under the dash hooked to the stereo line-in and my Pixel 2XL, it sounds phenomenal and will go as loud as you can handle it with no distortion.

The acoustics in our old Mopars is fantastic, even with little to no sound deadening, I've had multiple audiophile friends comment on how good it sounds, when the motor isn't running of course lol

-
Back