Duster Starting Problem Please HELP

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a serious starting problem with my 74 318 duster. Every time I start my duster I turn the key over and it won’t fire until I let go of the key and it returns to the run position. So every time it starts my Carb gets flooded and the car starts horribly. Open to any suggestions.
Thanks

Ballast resistor?

Pull the wires on the coil side, there should be two wires hooked to that side. Put a test light/multimeter in it and turn the key to start. If you get no light or voltage, trace back the wire that goes to the bulkhead and mess with the connection. Test the wire entering the bulkhead on the other side, interior side. See if it's got voltage there. If so it's the bulkhead connector.

Could be the switch in the column is going bad too.

You have two separate power paths for the ignition.

With the key in "run" what is known commonly as "ignition run" or IGN 1" is supplied from the switch, through the bulkhead on a DARK BLUE feed which powers one side of the ballast resistor (for ignition power) as well as the alternator field, the regulator, and if used, the electric choke

THE SECOND power path in "start" is a BROWN wire coming from the ignition switch known as "IGN 2" and is hot ONLY with the key in start. This wire supplies the coil + side of the ballast resistor.

SO clip a test light or meter to the coil + terminal, and use the key to crank the engine. you should get close to battery voltage (10.5 volts or more) when cranking.

IF not, it could be a damaged bulkhead connector, a bad wire connection somewhere on this brown wire, or a bad connection at the ignition switch, or the switch itself

-
Back