Duster Twisters

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
who does the research for this stuff .....very nice except for the fact that there was no "twister" for dusters in 71....that was a new for 72 package that was not a performance package but a new idea to dress a car up like a muscle car but put a /6 or 318 in it, in response to the gas crunch which was becoming a bigger problem by 72

Attachments

• 33984GN.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 572
Uhh Rani, the Twister package was available from 1971 to 1974 (A51 code) :D

My grandfather owns a 71 Twister that he ordered new and still has it today. I can't remember if it has 21k miles or 31k miles on it.

My 74 was originally an A51 code Twister car, unlike the 71-72 Twisters the 73-74 didn't get a different grille option and had an odd stripe/graphic kit on the hood

How many Duster 340's came with the Twister graphics in 71? Or should I ask a Twister with the 340 package? I had a Demon sizzler with 318 3spd. It came with the 8 3/4 rear ,disc brake's and stabilizer bar. Also Had the 72 scoop dealer installed.

One other thing I never saw any on this sight is later A-bodies with factory 4spd consoles. I know they had made some later A-bodies with 4 spd. consoles. I met a member on here that had a 71 Demon. And I also bought a console out of a Demon years ago . Is there any other known Models out there 70-76 A-body? I am talking from the factory not installed afterward.

I know there was an old forum that we talked about , prob a year ago , people thought they had one , came up false .Other people thought they knew of one that came up false .So i am saying there was no 340 Twisters slipped through from chrysler .No consoles after 68 in a body , if it has one check the build sheet prob false.

The Twister package started in the 1971 model year for the Duster. Looking at the model it appears that it has trim rings on the rally wheels. Trim rings were deleted on the Twisters.

I have a factory ad for the 71 Duster 340 and Twister....so yea, they built them :glasses7:

Are you saying no automatic consoles? Or no 4 speed consoles? Because the Dart GT and Custom in 70 and 71 was available with buckets/console.

I wad confused by that too....

Didn't the Hang 10 Cars have consoles?

The Duster Twister was a completely graphic oriented package. They advertised the Duster 340 and Duster Twister in the same 1971 ad.

The Twister was never available with a 340. If you wanted the 340, you got the 340 Duster.

1971DusterTheQuickest-1of2.jpg
1971DusterTheNewest-2of2.jpg

Hope this helps clear up confusion.

The same goes for the Demon Sizzler.

And yes, there are cars that had consoles all the way through 1976.

Keith knows. The Hang Ten and even the Spirit of '76 could have had them.

No consoles after 68 in a body , if it has one check the build sheet prob false.
Sorry to tell you but, You are not correct on your facts. Quoted right from my '69 GTS Darts' fender tag(340/4 on the floor car) N85-Console Mounted Tachometer, C16-Console with Woodgrain panel.

So there is i think over 10,000 members on here .Who has a factory 340 Duster Twister , i would like to see a vin tag , then i will be satisfied .

Xs2 big time .....I have seen a whole lot of 71 dusters with the decal and a lot of claims that it is original but have yet to see a tag with the A51 code on a 71 ....I have seen tags with A51 in 72 ...but never never a 71.

all those ads are pre-production for the next year without the updated side markers

The only 4spd console cars I ever saw back in the day were the GTS darts. I haven't seen a factory installed 4speed console past 69. It would be interesting to see if there were any.

Xs2 big time .....I have seen a whole lot of 71 dusters with the decal and a lot of claims that it is original but have yet to see a tag with the A51 code on a 71 ....I have seen tags with A51 in 72 ...but never never a 71.

all those ads are pre-production for the next year without the updated side markers

RaniDart70, look close at the add in post 15....the interior is '71 interior, the bumpers are '71 bumpers (bumper jack slots appeared in '72), the rally centers are '71 (acorn style for '72) and yes the side markers are '71 because Duster Twisters were available in '71.
If this was a pre-production ad, like you are saying, for '72 Duster Twister and '72 Duster 340 its totally wrong for reasons more than just '71 sidemarker lights.
There is a lot of misconceptions and dilution of the facts regarding most cars this age...
...just the fact that the Duster swirl/dust devil decal is twisting adds to the confusion.

I have a factory ad for the 71 Duster 340 and Twister....so yea, they built them :glasses7:

So there is i think over 10,000 members on here .Who has a factory 340 Duster Twister , i would like to see a vin tag , then i will be satisfied .

Kt340, please read my first post...."71 Duster 340 AND Twister"

Never said a Twister 340 was built.

In 1971 you could have bought new a 1971 Plymouth Duster "Twister" car, only engines available in the "Twister" were the slant six or 318....never a 340.

OK that's it... A Twisted Duster wasn't built until 1987....

RaniDart70, look close at the add in post 15....the interior is '71 interior, the bumpers are '71 bumpers (bumper jack slots appeared in '72), the rally centers are '71 (acorn style for '72) and yes the side markers are '71 because Duster Twisters were available in '71.
If this was a pre-production ad, like you are saying, for '72 Duster Twister and '72 Duster 340 its totally wrong for reasons more than just '71 sidemarker lights.
There is a lot of misconceptions and dilution of the facts regarding most cars this age...
...just the fact that the Duster swirl/dust devil decal is twisting adds to the confusion.
Correct on all points which was pointed out in the chat room where this started lol.

its funny how a fender tag confirming this will never show up. only an ad with a probable print date in 71 when all they had was a 71 to show.

-
Back