Duster Windshield Install

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever install a windshield? Should I install the seal on the windshield with adhesive first & then install the assembly on the windshield frame or should I let a professional do it? It's my first time. I'm a virgin.

Honestly if you have never installed a gasketed windshield, I would not attempt to do it. I have seen it done many times at the shop and it takes some practice to perfect the skill. It also usually takes a helper as well. DON'T DO IT! Lol, no seriously don't.

Your description is the way I've done it dozens of times. Use a small nylon rope in the gasket groove to peel the lip out into place. Wrap it completely around the glass and overlap it a few inches at the bottom. Lube the rubber with some liquid soap or gritless hand cleaner Set the glass in place at the bottom with the ends of the rope inside the car. Slowly and carefully pull the rope ends and as the rubber lip slides into place, gently push and tap the glass with a flat hand (no ring!) Don't try to force it or pry with a screwdriver. If you take your time, you should be able to get it done.
I agree with others though.....if you've never done one, you'll probably break the first few until you get the hang off it. If you want to learn, go to your local pull-your-own parts place and practice first. Start with a flat back glass in a pickup. They're about the easiest to do. Then try a fairly flat windshield....the wrap around ones are the toughest. Good luck!

Get a nylon stick from a glass shop. They are great.

-
Back