Duster Wiring Harness

-

Dakota Smith

1976 340 Feather Duster
Reaction score
I'm still having a hard time finding the correct engine to headlight wiring harness. Yearone sent me photos of the bulkhead connectors from the 73 & 74 wiring harness that they sell. In comparison to my old bulkhead connectors, neither of them had the same wires in the same spots. I have never installed a wiring harness, but I am assuming the new harness should match the old one. Do you guys have any recommendations?
These three are from my harness:
(The black one is apparently not included in a yearone engine harness)
file-1.jpeg
file1-1.jpeg
file2-1.jpeg

This one is from the 74 harness:
20181008_154727.jpg

This one is from the 73 harness:
20181008_143443.jpg

I followed the wiring diagrams in the factory service manual and restored my existing harness. it's cheap and easy. Just get some Packard 56 ends from ebay or wherever and the rest of it is no problem. You are best off to completely remove the harness you are working on. Then what I did was peel off all the original wire wrapping tape and made sure to use tywraps to tie together any places where the wiring Ys in different directions. This keeps the routing the same as original. Then just follow the color coding in the FSM and check each wire. Fix what needs fixing and replace what needs replacing. Once done, I rewrapped it with cheap black hockey tape and it looks and works great. The only thing I would suggest is to consider any future upgrades etc when doing this wiring work because it is way easier to add something like headlight relays etc. when the wires are all loose and free.

Cley

I followed the wiring diagrams in the factory service manual and restored my existing harness. it's cheap and easy. Just get some Packard 56 ends from ebay or wherever and the rest of it is no problem. You are best off to completely remove the harness you are working on. Then what I did was peel off all the original wire wrapping tape and made sure to use tywraps to tie together any places where the wiring Ys in different directions. This keeps the routing the same as original. Then just follow the color coding in the FSM and check each wire. Fix what needs fixing and replace what needs replacing. Once done, I rewrapped it with cheap black hockey tape and it looks and works great. The only thing I would suggest is to consider any future upgrades etc when doing this wiring work because it is way easier to add something like headlight relays etc. when the wires are all loose and free.

Cley
Thank you. I’ll definitely give this a shot. I’ve already completely removed it, so I might as well give it a try.

I purchased one a while back for my 74 360 and the colors matched properly. It was important to get your build date because some type of changes must of happened mid-year. Mine was perfect

Is it possible the photos they sent are just incorrect as in "representative views?" Or else actually incorrect?

What all are you replacing / not replacing. Let's say you were replacing the interior harness but not the engine side. You could repin the new harness into your old bulkhead connector just as 'xample

Is it possible the photos they sent are just incorrect as in "representative views?" Or else actually incorrect?

What all are you replacing / not replacing. Let's say you were replacing the interior harness but not the engine side. You could repin the new harness into your old bulkhead connector just as 'xample
I was going to replace the engine to front light harness, but since I can’t find one, I’m just going to try to repair the few wires that are messed up.

-
Back