duster

-

dougman

Reaction score
Ok i'm not to good at trouble shooting. I have a 72 duster i'm working on and today I went out to start it and it won't start it will fire off but will not stay running. From what I can see when you pump the pedal it is getting gas. Could it be that the fuel pump just went? Any help would be great thank you.

Ok i'm not to good at trouble shooting. I have a 72 duster i'm working on and today I went out to start it and it won't start it will fire off but will not stay running. From what I can see when you pump the pedal it is getting gas. Could it be that the fuel pump just went? Any help would be great thank you.

could be a ballast resistor....common problem that fits that description.

when you let go of the key from the "start" to "run" position it will die

here

Attachments

• 18 edit.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 305
yup ..thanks for the pic Kegan ....it is the white chalky looking rectangle and luckily they are only a few bucks at places like auto zone or advanced or whatever.

hope yours is an easy fix :happy1:

Most of the time if you take it off and it's bad it will show the coil on the under side. Use a volt meter to check voltage. also does it die after you release the key it could be the ignition two wire very common problem. Little more detail we will help you work it out. I just bought the hei upgrade distributor for $120 removes the balest resistor and ecu so it's a single wirer system. This is my 3rd 72 duster feel free to pm with any questions.

could be a ballast resistor....common problem that fits that description.

when you let go of the key from the "start" to "run" position it will die

Mine quit when i went to leave work yesterday, good thing i always carry an extra one! Now i have to replace the extra one.

ignition one sends power at start ignition two sends power on run here are the wiring diagrams for your car

Attachments

• 72ValiantA.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 72ValiantB.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 198
ok got the diagrams so what do I need to look for do I have to look for a short in the wire? thanks a lot for all the help so far.

Check to see if the dark blue wire with the tracer has power at the resistor when the key is on if not fallow it mine was bad in the ignition

I just want to thank you all for all of the help I got it back running hope to have it done in 2 weeks and on the road don't know if I want to go to the car show and show it the last time me and my little girl did that we were in a bad accident on the way there LOL!!!

Ok the problem was in the harness took apart cleaned it really good and the car started and still starts to this day thank you to you all for all of your help.

-
Back