Dutch member introduces himself

-

72 Duster 340

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought to introduce myself before posting all kind of questions...

My name is Hans and I come from the Netherlands. I recently bought a Duster which was posted here under the for sale section. I got an email from my buddy Andy from NY which showed me the add and as I liked it I contacted the owner, Mike from AZ. We made a deal and Duster was shipped overseas last summer.

It needed total restoration so we started on it right away hoping to have it on the road next summer. Not only on the road but also on the strip. Then my wife will drive it with my old 340. She will drive as i already drive my other car. A 72 Challenger which is powered by a custom built 528 Hemi which we installed last summer. So far it ran a best of 10.78@127 pushing 4211lbs down the strip.

Anyway, I hope to retrieve some needed info during the resto so now I'll go post some questions...

Thanks!

Welcome....Dutchies love the Mopars! Do you know Viking (Mick jansen) or 383Duster Martijn Boerson? Good friends of mine! ;) I know i spelled both last names wrong. :( :D

Welcome to the site Hans.

pic4.JPG

Thanks for the welcome guys!

@73RR, yes I know both of them...good guys. And oh yeah do we love Mopars over here. Not to many around of them though but more and more beautifull ones are coming over.

72 Duster 340 said:
Thanks for the welcome guys!

@73RR, yes I know both of them...good guys. And oh yeah do we love Mopars over here. Not to many around of them though but more and more beautifull ones are coming over.

yeah....they're the best! :)

Fred Van De Sanden has quite a few A body parts if you are looking for anything. [email protected]. He is in Belgium now but his shop is in Tilburg still.

Hey guys, thanks again. Looks like there a quit a few guys aboard here from Moparts, recognize a few...

Thought to show you guys some pictures of what we are working on at the moment. Take a look at the following pictures of our duster at it's progress.

dusterrotterdam.jpg

Here is how the Duster looked like after we went and get it from the customs at the harbour. Didn't disappointed us at all. Exactly as we thought it would look like after all the pictures Mike provided.

dustergraf.jpg

Looks like it was saved from...

dusterthuis.jpg

Finally arrived at our place after the long trip from AZ Time to check it out a little bit closer and see if we can follow our plans with it. Yep, no problems. Start to rip out every part of it to either throw away or restore...

dusterinterieur.jpg

You see it hasn't been used for a while... I believe the license plate sticker was from the early 80ies.

dustermotor.jpg

Engine shot... It's really shot... Only 7 pistons in it, all rusted. Lifters all rusted too, everything. Only thing looking good were the heads but unfortunately it weren't the desired x-heads. Tighted down with about 4 bolts each. lol Good thing I still have my old 340 from the challenger to install.

tubsgezaagd.jpg

One of our plans was to perform a minitub to it. After seeing how the bodyshop had it done to my challenger I thought I could give it a go myself. With some help of friends I think it turned out really nice. Also done is installing frame connectors to stiffen up the car.

temppaint.jpg

After stripping down all paint of the duster to bare metal we have apply a thin coat of paint to prevent it from rusting. Hard job but saves many hours of work for the bodyman. The whole duster was stripped from it's original paint.

Then from the front to the rear the duster looks like the following...

enginebay.jpg

interiorfront.jpg

interiorback.jpg

tubbed.jpg

Currently the car is at the bodyshop to get a 'new' tail panel welded in, be competely straigthened and painted moulin rouge, or in other words, pink... We hope to have it back at the end of this year so we can start on reassembling it. So as you see, lot of work still have to be done but it's worth it.

Hope you have an idea of what we are doing here overseas.

And, I can't resist, a picture of our Hemi Challenger.

CRW_1700_big.jpg

-
Back