dynamic converter won't match orgional flexplate

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
much to my dismay this afternoon i discovered that my flexplate does not match my new dynamic coverter. At first, i had to drill the holes out to 7/16 on the flexplate, and then the holes are slightly off and can only get two bolts started. My question now is what should i get for a flexplate? what has everyone else done with their cars?

Thanks,
Steve

B&M.....for your application they have BIG and SMALL bolt patterns...

you really should upgrade your flexplate - any 3500+ stall converter and a stock flexplate is a disaster waiting to happen...

One lug is offset you know. Sounds to me like you don't have the offset lug lined up with the offset hole in the flexplate.

i wouls definatley put an sfi approved flex plat on it... B&M is probably the most common... even when mine was aligned properly it was still difficult to get all the bolts in but they eventually went

Keep turning the convertor on the flexplate. The holes will line up. One hole is offset. Its a good idea to spray some paint on the one offset lug and the offset flexplate hole so assembly can be done quickly.

i did notice that one hole is offset, but still couldn't get the everything to line up correctly. I did drill the holes in the flexplate bigger, and maybe they were not centered. Now that i look at the flexplate, it is definatly small and looks kinda weak. Wish i had thought of that before i tried to install the engine. Gonna order a B&M and hopefully have the engine in thursday or this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the help.

Steve

Mopar Performance has a SFI approved flexplate cheap. It was $25 last time I bought one so it probably around $50 now, LOL

got a TCI for $67, the kicker was the 7/16 - 20 X 1/2 inch bolts, 6 for $23. Looked around yesterday and no one had them, cut some down that would work, but since i'm waiting on the new plate i figured i might as well get the correct hardware too, and since i can't find it here, i might as well order it to be guranteed that i'll have it.

do yourself a favor and like the flexplate up on the convertor and mark it before you install everything.

How fast is this car? SFI flex plates aren't required by NHRA until the car runs 10.99. You didn't say what your car, engine combo is but I doubt you need an SFI flex plate. I've used a stock plate for big and small block 11 second cars without incident and I doubt I really need it for my 10 second small block A body, but since NHRA says I have to have it I do.

As for the bolts you can shave down the heads of flex plate to crankshaft bolts if necessary. That's how I did my first one. They are the same bolts just that the bolt head thickness is less on the flex plate to torque converter bolts.

But hey, it's your money, not mine.

i don;t know how fast it will be, i pulled the 273, rebuilt a 318 i had following a build in a magazine, so should be about 350 hp, dynamic 3200 stall converter hooked to a 904 with transgo shift kit and swapped the 7 1/4 rear with an 8 3/4 with 3.91 suregrip. mainly gonna be used for street driving, but would like to take it to the strip just to see what it'll run. defintaly not 10 or 11 seconds.

i'll see how the bolts work, if i need to i'll shave them, however i realized after i ordered them that i ordered flexplate to crankshaft bolts ( set of 6), i need to connect the coverter to the flex plate, but will work with the 7/16 fine thread.

thanks

I went to ace hardware and got 3/4 in.long grade 8s and locktited them. Buck a piece.

-
Back