Dyno Results....

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
So just got back from a tuning session on a chassis dyno...I was kinda expecting more.

Engine specs:
440 bored .030 over
Forged Factory crank
Speedpro 7025 pistons with dome milled off.
Approx 9.3:1 Static Compression Radio
Factory 452 iron heads
Long Tube Headers 1 3/4 primaries
3" Exhaust w/X-pipe
Summit 6401 Cam 224/234 duration, .466/.488 Lift, 114 LSA
Comp Cam Springs
Holley 750 DP
Mechanical Fan w/NO Clutch (no room)
Mechanical Water Pump

TF 727 Transmission w/2400 Stall
Ford 8.8' Rear w/ 3.27 gears

MAX HP: 279
MAX TQ: 356

I guess I was expecting more....dyno guy says 20-25% Power loss through driveline.
Thoughts?

IMG_5772.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah....basically the same as a stock HP440. I guess I was just hoping for more.
What were the ambient conditions? High humidity and/or high air temperatures can lower engine output.

Plus, I believe Ma Mopar overstated the factory ratings on stock 440 Magnums.

What were the ambient conditions? High humidity and/or high air temperatures can lower engine output.

Plus, I believe Ma Mopar overstated the factory ratings on stock 440 Magnums.
85-90 Degrees...fairly humid. It's texas...LOL.

Take it to the track and run it..your time slip will tell you what you have dyno's are NOT everything people think they are..

Take it to the track and run it..your time slip will tell you what you have dyno's are NOT everything people think they are..
True...I've never raced before. As is, it's needs a pinion snubber and some DOT slicks before I even think about it...unless I get points for spinning the entire length of the track. LOL It makes lots of torque, which was kinda the point when I built it...primary a street car

I agree. A dyno is a starting point. Information that may be more useful from a dyno run is where the peaks are for establishing a shift point, gear ratios, etc.

I agree. A dyno is a starting point. Information that may be more useful from a dyno run is where the peaks are for establishing a shift point, gear ratios, etc.
Agreed. The primary mission today was to tune it...so I gained approx 10hp and 15ft/lbs of TQ...pretty much along the entire rpm range.

My setup is a smallblock 318 with just 8.6:1cr.

2016 Setup:
- stock distributor, recurved extensively
- stock cast iron manifolds, into dual 2-1/4" seperate exhaust with hydraulicly pushed bends, into a pair of stock style Turbo mufflers.

2017 Setup:
- Digital ignition
- Cold air intake
- full length Dougs Headers, full 2.5" exhaust mandrell bent, Summit X-pipe, into Borla ProXS mufflers.

2016 dyno-run: 169 rwhp
2017 dyno-run: 161 rwhp !

I've got some more indept info, dyno-sheets and videos about the dyno-session on my website: BigBlockMopar

Best statements made so far;

Dyno's are not what people think they are.
Dyno's are tools best used for tuning.

My 2 cents; If the are properly calibrated then an accurate reading will show. But doesn't EVERY Dyno operator say his stuff is in great shape?

Just noticed the small cam your using get a decent cam in there and you'll see a BIG improvement..and for the track more gear would help too.

Best statements made so far;

Dyno's are not what people think they are.
Dyno's are tools best used for tuning.

My 2 cents; If the are properly calibrated then an accurate reading will show. But doesn't EVERY Dyno operator say his stuff is in great shape?
^^THIS times like a bazillion gillian.

LOL!!! Well, stock heads aren't going to net a lot for You untouched, but I've seen some weak numbers with auto's on the dyno that run much better on the track. I'm not
familiar with the Summit cam, but those numbers would seem to put it just below the Street Hemi grind range, which I've got one pushing a 4300# car to 100mph w/a
cast iron TQ intake & 750VS Holley,11" TCI converter & 3.55's. The heads are 452's just template ported & matched w/a little opening of the pinch, but 10:1 squeeze.
Oh, and has 3" pipes......................................

Last edited:
-
Back