dyno #s seem low ?

-
We did a few runs and kept adding timing until power started falling off. We ended up with total at 34 and initial at 16 degrees. The car also started dropping off with power around 5700 and my cam should be good to 6200 rpm. Not really sure why it was falling off so soon...

The car runs great, just when I started my build I was going for 300-325 to the wheels as my goal. I really thought I could hit that with my combo. So I guess some heads are in the future for my winter project. My other toy is an 03 cobra so when I get in the 340 it always seems under powered. I do however enjoy driving the duster more and get way more thumbs up than in the cobra!

Two observations...
The Mustang has a lot more gears in the transmission - the engine's not really that much more powerful - but the gear reduction really makes it rock.
The machine work is the easiest way to maximize a build. High quality machining with stock parts will make more power than the best parts thrown in. You don't note the cam or what the engine had done to it but I wouldn't be too upset. Plus there's the dyno setup - some are happy, some are stingy.

332 horsepower, figuring a 20% loss through the drivetrain, is nothing shabby considering you've basically built a slightly above factory build. I didn't see your rear end gear ratio. Gear ratio may be affecting your motor's ability to pull to your desired rpm range (6200). The motor is under a lot of load on a chassis dyno.

All this talk........how do you even know the dyno is RIGHT? My God, if it runs good and you are happy, WTF else matters?

All this talk........how do you even know the dyno is RIGHT? My God, if it runs good and you are happy, WTF else matters?

I agree but I get the feeling he had loftier expecations. Like was said though -it could be the dyno setup too.

To the OP - dynos are only tools. If it's tuned as well as you can, take it to the track, weigh it, and run it. Then do the math based on weight and miles-per-hour. If you can, try moving the timing and shift points arround at the track to find your best. Then you know what it's actually making.

Did the OP happen to read the dyno derby 390hp 340 with a XE268 cam article... :)

Disney has a place for that 390hp engine... fantasyland.

OP's engine should make 330-350 at the crank on a good tune up. 271 at the wheels with this build is pretty good. Should be good for mid 12's at 105-107ish range in a decent 3200# A body

-
Back