Dyno tuned my 5.7 hemi hilborn today - 415 rwhp

-
Damn thats heartbreaking...:(. ....but at least the damage looks limited to bore and pistons...but I guess a bearing check will tell you if its a "lean melt" or a "timing IED".....

Dang!!! That really sucks man. It sounded great in the video, like RAT says, it is looking good... I got my fingers crossed for ya.

JOE

I think 11.5-12 is safer. I discovered with my Fast that even though the readings were 12.5 at wot throttle the car ran a lot stronger at 12.0. Could be the scoop. Real sorry to see this and hope I can avoid it. Were those stock pistons?

I believe it was just lean. I'll check the bearings.

Wiseco pistons. Not stock.

I'll be going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I think the hood scoop leaned you out at 146mph. Ouch! The fuel supply up to par correct? I know it is but I'm just checking.

I think the hood scoop leaned you out at 146mph. Ouch! The fuel supply up to par correct? I know it is but I'm just checking.

bingo... dyno vs real world is apple and oranges... its about as useful as a desktop dyno, gets you in the ball park.

boy that a real bummer OP. does it look like a sleeve will be needed?

I'm not going to blame it on anything (not even the hood scoop) until I actually know. A dyno pull at a pace of 1000 rpm per second is very different than a mile pull going 50 rpm per second of acceleration. I should have logged the run but I did not, so everything is speculation for now.

I will be putting EGT probes on 1 3 5 & 7. Triggering a spark cut if it goes too high. CYA next time around...

Wow, 146 in a 40 year old car with the drag coefficient of a brick, that is beyond respectable. It sounded real good as well.

Sorry about the motor. I hope you get the problem identified and solved. The piston is an easy fix, but the bore looks a bit rough. :( Hopefully a quick hone and a new piston and you'll be on your way.

Keep us updated.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I love the video of your standing mile run.
Sorry to see your engine damage.

Hey Wade...I dont want to dredge up old wounds....but did you arrive at a definite cause for the melt down?

Hey Wade...I dont want to dredge up old wounds....but did you arrive at a definite cause for the melt down?

Looks like a number of things contributed to this:
- taped grille
-200-230* F water temp
-high compression
-93 octane

I don't *think* my tune was way off, but too much heat on a motor with high compression, pump gas, and high rpm = hot = detonation & lean.

Too much added up to a Melted piston...

Still haven't tested injectors,'etc, to make sure I didn't have a fuel issue.

-
Back