Dyno tuned my 5.7 hemi hilborn today - 415 rwhp

-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
Finally dyno tuned my motor today. I'm very pleased. Picked the car up A LOT driving it home.

Quick breakdown:
1973 plymouth duster
forged 5.7, 11.6:1 compression, 03-08 GTP Extreme heads, Hilborn intake, custom shorty headers welded by me (around P/S box), 218/224 on 113.5+2 (xfi exhaust lobes- very mild)
TKO600 standard tranny, ford 9" floater rear, 3.60:1 gear with locker, heavy wheels all around.
Megasquirt 3x engine management tuned by me.
straight 30 weight conventional oil for all pulls.

We started the day in the 370's (rwhp) using a modified stock 5.7 timing curve. We kept adding timing until it dropped power, and backed it down 2* to the previous higher point. Ended up with more timing in the higher rpm range than most. I wanted more peak torque, but I am very pleased with where we ended up. ~300 rwtq from 3,000-7,000 will do just perfect for road racing.

All on 93 octane unleaded. No knock sensors. Craig at Bumbera's was listening, and I was doing the same through a microphone clipped to the knock sensor point on the block. Neither of us heard any knock the entire day, including when we tried 2* on top of our final curve just because (dropped power across the board, did not knock though).

Honestly, I did not expect the motor to pull this high with this little cam. I expected the hp peak to be below 6000 rpm, as that's where this cam peaked on 5.7's & 6.1's with a normal intake. Guess not with my build.

A couple back to back runs at the end:

And my timing curve. DON'T YOU DARE use this curve and expect it to work - way too much timing for most - you'll blow your motor ;)

Point worth noting: I marked TDC on my balancer and put my timing light on the motor to verify what the MS3x is commanding is what the motor is seeing. I found 1-2* of retard (light vs commanded) at 15-18*. That is within the range of measurement error, though it's very possible that the engine sees timing at 10% less than commanded. All I want you to take away from this curve is adding timing after peak torque was VERY beneficial for my motor. Further, this is the actual MBT for my motor on 93 octane, and MBT was reached before knock. Every motor is different so what worked on mine may not work on yours. Disclaimer: I'm not liable if you blow your motor trying to run 30*+.

So why do you think the motor was so accepting of so much timing?

Your levels of compression would normally make it less tolerant....

Also..what type of dyno...and was this hood down or hood up?

Hmm! Mustangs are normally conservative aren't they?... So thats a good sign!

What about temps..hood up or down?

Awesome I would like to see how the motor would do on e85 and a 200 shot.

No need for e85 (though it could gain a small amount).

I'll be workin my butt off to get the nitrous installed and ready by next weekend when I put it on the drag strip. Start with a 150 shot.

No need for e85 (though it could gain a small amount).

I'll be workin my butt off to get the nitrous installed and ready by next weekend when I put it on the drag strip. Start with a 150 shot.

Just coming from the lsx world I've seen 20-25hp from going to e85. Keep us posted I wish u could have duno'd on spray.

I like where this is going. I have a hit for my stock 5.7 please keep us posted. Great numbers by the way.

Do you plan on cutting any timing on the spray?

AJ

Are gonna run slicks at the track? I have a 28x10 set im gonna run just for tractions sake.

Just coming from the lsx world I've seen 20-25hp from going to e85. Keep us posted I wish u could have duno'd on spray.

I've seen that with the LSx's, and I guess somewhat with the new Hemi guys. That being said, it's too much work IMO. At least on this build.

I'll probably only dyno the spray if I go to a dyno night. No real tuning need to dyno on nitrous...

I like where this is going. I have a hit for my stock 5.7 please keep us posted. Great numbers by the way.

Do you plan on cutting any timing on the spray?

AJ

Planning on cutting 4-6 degrees on a 150 shot. Probably 4, and put some 'good' gas in the 1 gallon nitrous fuel cell. I'll definitely keep ya'll updated.

Any pics of the holborn set up?

null_zpsb1d43298.jpg

Are gonna run slicks at the track? I have a 28x10 set im gonna run just for tractions sake.

No, don't have any that will fit. 14" rotors = 18" wheels. Maybe I'll get some drag radials at some point, but that's way down the list.

That is an awesome piece of kit.....did you fabricate it...or how did it come together?

Hilborn sells the intake. Already set up for EFI.

Made some bungs, welded and tapped them. Nitrous is coming along now. Still have a few lines to cut, bend, and run, etc.

null_zps79d67414.jpg

415? Looks like you found 45 HP!!!

Excellent. Glad to see you're hitting your targets for performance.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Running a map sensor???? Did you try to drop the map sensor out and map a timing curve without the sensor??? I had similar timing results at first with the Hemi 6 controller and found out the Map actually was pulling timing out at higher rpm levels,Dropped the map sensor out and mapped a 13 degree initial timing at 800 rpm then straight to 32 degree's all in by 2000 and 32 out the back door--Steve

415? Looks like you found 45 HP!!!

Excellent. Glad to see you're hitting your targets for performance.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks Joe!!

Running a map sensor???? Did you try to drop the map sensor out and map a timing curve without the sensor??? I had similar timing results at first with the Hemi 6 controller and found out the Map actually was pulling timing out at higher rpm levels,Dropped the map sensor out and mapped a 13 degree initial timing at 800 rpm then straight to 32 degree's all in by 2000 and 32 out the back door--Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve! On the megasquirt, nothing is currently adding or pulling timing. What you see is what you get.

That's pretty interesting that your motor liked 32* from 2000 on! Thanks for sharing

Had a quick private discussion with Steve - and it seems we both discovered the same thing.

Here's a quick post.......

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970189061#post1970189061

any updates?

Saturday at the mile:
1st run: 135 1/2 mile, shifted into OD, 138 full mile.
2nd run: 136.9 1/2 mile, left it in 4th, 146.2 full mile. And did this in the process:

I was going to spray nitrous on Sunday. Never made it.

Moral of the story? Use the AFR / EGT safety measures in Megasquirt. Just because it's tuned to 7,000+ rpm on a dyno, doesn't mean that tune holds when your accelerating at <50 rpm per second.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFkZzvmrdE"]Plymouth duster 146 mph standing mile - YouTube[/ame]

Motor is coming out this week. Hopefully I can get away with swapping two pistons and going.

Never got to use it...

-
Back