Dyno Tuning?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a car tuned on the dyno? Just curious if it's worth it.

Been having all sorts of issues with my small block and think its not making the power it should.

Its not cheap. If you're looking for carb and /or ignition tuning it can save you a lot of time to at least get very close. Talk to the dyno operators and let them know what your problems are and see what they say.

don

I dyno all the time. Havent put the dart up yet as the rear end is still giving me trouble but I've put my 4runner up afew times after a complete rebuild to set a/f and timing, and fuel pressure and to find out why it goes pig rich after 4000rpm (efi is a pain). Just the other day did a 100% street 86 camaro with a completly stock 350 being fed by a single t-70 turbo on pump gas. Made:

9 psi boost
Max HP: 389 hp 4700 rpm
Max TQ: 472 ft/lb 4300 rpm

And

14 psi boost
Max HP: 492 hp 4600 rpm
Max TQ: 563 ft/lb 4500 rpm

Would have never gotten near that power if we didnt put it on the dyno. My point is that is the only way you will know what your car is doing and how the little tweaks help and hurt. I pay about $60 and hour but have heard of up to $125 and hour. You should usually be able to tune out any bugs within an hour and a half or so even if its barely running when you get there.

I use dynos for final numbers (validation), that's about it. (I'm assuming you mean chassis dynos) If you think there is a problem, some testing will give you a better idea than dropping $100-150/hr to have it flogged repeatedly. Is the car slower than you wanted? Has it been to track with real timers and do you know the true weight of it? MPH and weight is the best way to gage performance. Does it "feel soft"? If so, when ? around town, on acceleration, on the highway? A leakdown costs an hour's labor, and will tell you more about an engine's shape than 4 hrs on the roller. Ditto with a static compression test. I'd pay for that first.

It's a new engine see -What would you do post-

It just doesn't have anymore go then the worn out 340 it replaced. What sort of questions/answers should I have ready when looking for a chassis dyno?

71Duster said:
It's a new engine see -What would you do post-

It just doesn't have anymore go then the worn out 340 it replaced. What sort of questions/answers should I have ready when looking for a chassis dyno?

Read what I responded again. I didnt say flog it on a dyno. IMO, you have a problem you havent found yet. That means either you havent looked in the right areas, or it's easier (not cheaper) to not look and just tune. SOmetimes a running engine isnt a good thing. Because once it fires, one doesnt want to "take a step back" by pulling things apart. But, if there is a problem, you can stay dissapointed, try the easier avenue of throwing $$ at it with easy swapped parts, or maybe test the stuff, or toss money at someone else testing it for you and repair as needed. I really think you need to have it checked by a pro. leakdown test show how good the engine is at holding pressure and where things are leaking. Compression tests show how much potential power is there. Inspections give physical measurements that can be compared to "right" or "not right" values. When I worked at a dyno place, we'd see all kinds of guys who wanted the car "tuned" on the dyno. It's not cheap. there's usually a hookup fee that includes 3 pulls or one hour's time, then an hourly rate after that. Id watch as the cars were tied down, and the guys would work on them, only to disaapoint the owner who knew "the carb's worn out" or "it has oil on 2 plugs when I checked". So the $150 setup, and the $75/hr for 2 hours after (you get charged for time, whether or not the car is being pulled) and they leave disappointed and $300 lighter. The time to find problems is before the dyno, and then you use the dyno to adjust the last few items. If you use the dyno to diagnose a low power problem, you're looking to spend twice.

As you find different places, you'll find different dynos. Some are "friendlier" than others (meaning give higher results), some use a roller in the floor, some use individual power absorber heads that bolt on the hubs, some have data aquisition, some have fast rate O2 sensors, some dont. You want someone who is out to help you, not give you a hp number. Preferably someone a friend or club member has used and got good results. They should have been doing this for at least a year, the shop should be neat and clean, and they should be able to test air/fuel mixtures. There will be a charge for weld in bungs in the header collectors for that. It's worth it IMO. The tailpipe O2s are not as fast reacting and get sooted up fast, so they can give false readings. Also, make sure you understand thier charges and how they are applied. Is it by the hour? Does that include carb adjustment time at that higher rate? How many pulls are included in the base charge? Can you also work on the vehicle, or do you have to stand back and watch? Can you provide your own parts (gaskets, jets, MSD curve stuff, etc)? All questions that should be asked. I like to go and watch another car being tested. If you get nervous because it's not tied down well, or you dont see fender covers or clean uniforms/hands, or there's stuff piled all around the car, or you just dont like the way the guys tests (like back to back pulls with no cool down, or simulating a full dragstrip pass..I hate that), find another place..Find somebody else.

Well as far as the problems go I think it's all valvetrain related.

I dont think things are opening as much as they should. I could do a leakage test but didn't really think there was a huge need being it's all new The bottom end -I think- is 100% It hasn't even used any noticeable amount of oil but I can bring my tester home from work and run one if people things its a step in the right direction, I've spent hours and hours diagnosing this thing and even pulled the engine once already. Changed all 16 lifters and had the intake off several times.

It's now to the point where the builder is offering me options that all cost me more money which is what I am trying to avoid. I'm a mechanic but performance tuning/ building isn't something they teach in school so it is a learning curve for me but nothing too hard.

Go with moper's suggestions and do a leakdown test and a compression test, then you'll either confirm what you already suspect, or discover that there is cause for concern in more than the valve train adjustment. You can never have too much information, especially if it's about to cost you money for something the builder screwed up. :)

71Duster said:
I'm a mechanic but performance tuning/ building isn't something they teach in school so it is a learning curve for me but nothing too hard.

Sure they do. Good performance is a result of everything working as the engineer intends. You measure brake rotors for thickness and parallel. The machinist should be measuring too. But if he doesnt, you can. You should have a vernier available, or even that brake mic. Buy a snap gage or std inside caliper, and pull a few lifters. Measure the bore, and the lifter. If there is significant difference in the measurements, you are on the road to good performance. I hear a lot of "it's specialized" coming form various people. If you are mechanically inclined, all you need is the interest, and the right tools, and you can do it. Dont be mistaken, if things need work, there are costs associated with them. But if you can determine without a doubt the shop was at fault, then they should share those costs, or eat it entirely. If you leave it to them to check, you let them determine if they need to pay...Guess who's fault it will be in 80% of the cases?

-
Back