e bay B.S.

-
krabysniper said:
Personaly, there is a lot to be said for wandering around a salvage yard, swap meets, car shows, hunting old parts and hard to find items, I still do to this day, because you just never know just what you will stumble across. You'll NEVER get that from a pc, sitting on your couch getting fat. I remeber searchin for parts once at a salvage yard way out in the boonies around here, and the guy who owned the place said hey, you wanna check out my old car I restored, he took us into an old shop and low and behold there sat an absolutley gorgeous 100% mint retored Mustang Shelby GT 500 with 428 cobra jet. Man o man was that a sweet car, and I am not even a Ford fan.

I love going to the boneyard! I took my birthday off of work last year and my buddy and I hit the junkyard on a weekday. He walked out with his pockets full of tools he found under hoods, seats and in gloveboxes and trunks. I scored a like new radiator support, turn signal lenses, glovebox lid, heater control valve, grille, tailgate, and bag of extra body bolts for my '74 Ramcharger for about $120. I probably even forgot all the parts I grabbed! Try that on e-bay! It would cost more than that for shipping. Oh yeah, I saw super clean two barrel 383 in one of the trucks I was ripping apart. I didn't have a trailer so I couldn't grab it but it would have cost me 75$! I could have had the whole deal for $200 including tax. On second thought I could have fixed the burnt main power lead in the bulkhead connector, popped on two new radiator hoses (they slash 'em when they come in) and bought the whole damn truck ('72 1 ton dodge dually!) for $100 and driven it home. That 'aint happenin' online.

ramcharger said:
I love going to the boneyard! I took my birthday off of work last year and my buddy and I hit the junkyard on a weekday. He walked out with his pockets full of tools he found under hoods, seats and in gloveboxes and trunks. I scored a like new radiator support, turn signal lenses, glovebox lid, heater control valve, grille, tailgate, and bag of extra body bolts for my '74 Ramcharger for about $120. I probably even forgot all the parts I grabbed! Try that on e-bay! It would cost more than that for shipping. Oh yeah, I saw super clean two barrel 383 in one of the trucks I was ripping apart. I didn't have a trailer so I couldn't grab it but it would have cost me 75$! I could have had the whole deal for $200 including tax. On second thought I could have fixed the burnt main power lead in the bulkhead connector, popped on two new radiator hoses (they slash 'em when they come in) and bought the whole damn truck ('72 1 ton dodge dually!) for $100 and driven it home. That 'aint happenin' online.

There are pros and cons to both. It's an apples to oranges comparison. I wouldn't place one above the other. I still scrounge for parts at the yards and swap meets myself, so I don't knock it. But Ebay has been just as valuable for me as well. Both methods are effective, for myself, in obtaining parts.

I agree with Thrashard340. I wouldn't buy apples off e-bay....oranges maybe. Seriously, I've had no trouble with e-bay. But a lot of my parts come from buddies in my area. I give them free parts, and they give me free ones when needed. Good old fashioned hot-rodding.

69 Swinger1.JPG

ramcharger said:

Man that's great! I remember the day when I could do this. About 20 years ago. But since EVERY junkyard for a 50 mile radius around me has closed and the ones that are still open (in the St.Louis area) don't usually have a sign of old Mopar stuff it's the online stuff including E-bay or do without.

BTW: how many 68 Cuda's do you see in junkyards with usabale parts nowadays?? I never saw many when I was junkyard hunting 20 yrs. ago.

Thrashard is right. There's pro's and cons to both. I'd much rather buy in person but when there's not much around to buy a person has no choice.

Has any body here had dealings with ebay seller Noah Performance, I'm giving a couple of more days as I have called twice and sent several email, last I heard from him was for me to send him my full info and he would have to check his records. I haven't heard back from him yet. At first I sent emails and called and emailed again and I never got a response until I informed him that I traced the email address and it is working. Still waiting for air cleaner Sent payment Dec 21/06.

I've never dealt with them myself but looked them up and see they have decent FB but the negatives they do have are mostly from people saying they didn't send the stuff and won't answer their e-mails so sounds like your in that group. My advice is to file a fraud claim with E-bay. I had to do that once and got things resolved. That allways gets them on the ball in a real big hurry.

I totaly agree, I used to get all excited when swapmeet season rolled around. I would spend 4 days at the Portland, OR. swapmeet looking under tables, in boxes, everywhere. I would walk the track atleast 5 times have blisters on my feet and I still wouldn't find what I was looking for. Along comes Ebay and Bang!!! theres 12 of the part I was looking for and for 50 bucks cheaper than what I was ganna pay!!!
Hell I love Ebay, Sure Iv gotten burned on some stuff but oh well **** happens and when Im 90 I won't care or even remember that the guy on ebay sent me a set of ford headers when I ordered mopar ones. Big deal I lost 27 bucks but I just sold the headers on ebay for 35 bucks. The good out weigh the bad just look at the feedback of the person your going to deal with. I will read all the neg. feedback of someone and sometimes it's due to the fault of shipping (i work in shipping/receiving) Fed Ex sucks and UPS really sucks, and other times you can tell that the person that left the neg feedback is a moron!
Like everyone else I have done more transactions on ebay than I have feedback for but thats not ganna stop me from bidding on that hood emblem for a 53-56 Mercury truck that I have been looking for.

Finally got my air cleaner, took alot of contact attemps and a ebay dispute console entry but I got it, it's quite nice but I don't think I would deal with that seller again, not worth the hassle.

i will say just latly I did a transaction but not threw ebay, i was selling a turbo kit that i was gonna install on my car, well the plans fell threw and i wanted more money for the cuda, so i sold it to some guy in Delaware for $400 plus shipping, and he sent me the money orders and such and i COD the package to him, it worked out really good it was kinda weird to me and Especially my mom that someone would just ship me that kinda money and expect me to pay him, it was a good site and all and i had someone voutch for me on selling(even though this was my first time to someone out of state) it worked out good, i got my money, i shipped off his package(he still hasnt got it yet gets it friday) so that was one good thing that happened to me latly, so i got a good first experience for online selling :thumbup: still havnt made the leap for an ebay account though.

-
Back