E body axles

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if E body axles can be cut down to A body length???

I picked up an E body complete 8 3/4, 489 center for 50 bucks. I am going to shorten the housing to A body length, and would like to use the axles. If I can't I'll buy a set.

You might be able to sell that E-body 8.75 for a good profit and then buy a C-body 8.75. I know for a fact that you can shorten those axles.

Or sell them to roll over into a New & stronger set.

All e-body axles I've seen neck down right after the splines so there's not enough meat to shorten them. As Rklein said C-body axles can be shortened. Full size truck axles are also long enough to shorten.

All e-body axles I've seen neck down right after the splines so there's not enough meat to shorten them. As Rklein said C-body axles can be shortened. Full size truck axles are also long enough to shorten.

This. Most B/E body 8 3/4 axles neck down slightly after the splines and stay that way through the area you'd need to put the new splines into. They do neck back up, but at that point they'd be too short for stock A body length.

C body and truck are the way to go for donors if you want to shorten a stock set.

Narrow the housing narrower than standard A body width and you could probably get away with it. That's how Mad Dart did the B body housing and axles I bought from him.

Narrow the housing narrower than standard A body width and you could probably get away with it. That's how Mad Dart did the B body housing and axles I bought from him.

And that might be a possibility. I have thought about mini tubbing and going shorter. Time to break out the measuring stick.

-
Back