E-Coat on new fenders

-
I would call AMD, and ask them what prep work needs to be done with the E-Coat
I emailed them yesterday asking what their position is on it and if they offer any type of warranty for delamination. I also asked about a month ago about some additional parts I wanted to order and nobody has ever responded. They used to respond to email very quickly.

The company I work for has done ecoat for the electrical industry for decades and not all ecoat's are equal. The substate prep will determine if its good or not and you cannot see that or trust it was done well. I would sand off and prep from bare metal for best results unless its used in non-visible areas (floors, etc.). You cannot trust thickness gauges because ecoat is designed to be extraordinarily thin due to the electrical process of bonding (like powdercoat but in a paint bath that is electrically charged). Also you do not know if the ecoat base material is not a low-cost option like a simple acrylic vs. something more durable.

If you could verify the ecoat process, you will want a substrate pretreatment of a phosphate (iron, zircon, etc.) built up with a binary paint that is approximately 50% urethane acrylics and 50% epoxy under a very high DC voltage. This combo is a solid base to build on with only minimal scuffing. It is unusual in the world today.

Good luck,
RGAZ

Definitely fit them first, check this out

20231014_113247.jpg

20231014_084724.jpg

Hey guys, I have 2 new AMD fenders, they are e-coated from AMD... I would like to spray the fenders in epoxy primer. What is the process to prep the fenders? how much of the e-coat do i have to remove?
I have heard that i can just "scuff" the e-coat with a red scotchbrite and ive heard that i should sand it all off... any suggestions from real experience would be helpful, thanks in advance..Rich
Some manufacturer's e-coat is good, but some are garbage. AMD has always been good. Body shop rule of thumb is to rub a spot with acetone on a rag. If none comes off on the rag, it should be left on, then scuff, clean, prime.

so just a quick update, i completely removed all the e-coat on the exterior of the 2 fenders and probably 90% of it on the inside of the panels. I used 180 on my DA sander and lots of hand sanding. My next step is to spray them with 2K epoxy...Rich

-
Back