E coil/hei mounting pics please

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Mounting an E type/HEI coil on my small block Duster, curious to see how you all handled this. This is for the brand X type square 'e' coil. Not concerned with where you put the module thingy, I'm using an MSD 6AL to fire it.

I was thinking about making one to fit on the manifold (Victor) which already has the bosses for the stock coil location. Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to make, only difference would be the actual mounting of the coil - cylinder vs. square.

Anyway, looking for lovely pics of awesome fabrication and over-engineered coil mount designs. Thanks.

- Greg

memike has a good one for overfabbed, and this is mine.

Attachments

• installed.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 537
memike has a good one for overfabbed, and this is mine.

Huh, I didn't even see the coil mount at first, had to look closer. My eye was drawn to the module on the right, I was like where is it?

I thought about putting it on the pass. side fender kinda like you have it but I think I am going to pursue mounting it on the manifold.

Well, since this is such a hot topic, I figured I'd post what I came up with.

I used the stock mount location on the back of the manifold - no new holes to drill, plenty of room, away from any direct heat.

I used aluminum channel and flat stock to make the bracket. The reason I chose to use the channel is so it can act as a heat sink. I bent up the flat stock to facilitate attaching it to the manifold bosses. I got stainless fasteners to prevent corrosion after heat cycling. All basic hardware store stuff, like $25. Similar price to a buying a bracket at a parts store but this one is made to fit.

My fabrication skills are a little lacking but you get the idea.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Attachments

• IMG_9666.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_9667.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_9665.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 394
Well, since this is such a hot topic, I figured I'd post what I came up with.

I used the stock mount location on the back of the manifold - no new holes to drill, plenty of room, away from any direct heat.

I used aluminum channel and flat stock to make the bracket. The reason I chose to use the channel is so it can act as a heat sink. I bent up the flat stock to facilitate attaching it to the manifold bosses. I got stainless fasteners to prevent corrosion after heat cycling. All basic hardware store stuff, like $25. Similar price to a buying a bracket at a parts store but this one is made to fit.

My fabrication skills are a little lacking but you get the idea.

Hope someone finds this useful.

That's pretty clean and doesn't stand out much either.
I put mine where it is to get it off the motor and away from heat sources, and the bolt was already there for the brake booster strut.

That's pretty clean and doesn't stand out much either.
I put mine where it is to get it off the motor and away from heat sources, and the bolt was already there for the brake booster strut.

Thanks. Not the prettiest but it works.

when i put it in jamies dart i'm gonna put it inside the car. i haven't really seen a e coil in the engine bay that i like.. the damn thing is so big..

when i put it in jamies dart i'm gonna put it inside the car. i haven't really seen a e coil in the engine bay that i like.. the damn thing is so big..

Its really not. Not as tall as the regular cylindrical coil, but wider obviously.

Honestly, you really can't see it unless you physically look behind the air cleaner. Its actually totally hidden back there. The Victor has taller runners so that may help to hide it a little.

The coil this one replaced was stuck up on the firewall next to the heater hose holes with a single bolt strap.

On an unmodified small block car, the coil is mounted horizontally on the back of the intake, much more visible.

I have been thinking of doing that with mine.
Maybe when I don't have to show it to people anymore I'll do it.

Honestly, you really can't see it unless you physically look behind the air cleaner. Its actually totally hidden back there. The Victor has taller runners so that may help to hide it a little.

your is one of the cleaner installs i have seen. i just don't want mine there. its tight enough in that area as is.. :)

On my 65 273 2 bbl. I made a two piece bracket for the coil that bolts in the factory spot. I also mounted the HEI with a big heat sink and the 12V relay on the bracket. All this is kinda hard to see in the pictures. That volt regulator is just for looks, a 70 solid state is hidden under the battery. At first I made a aluminum plate that would bolt to the bottom of the distributor to mount the HEI module, but went this route instead.

Attachments

• coronet 2013 005 (Medium).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 294
  • coronet 2013 008 (Medium).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 297
  • coronet 2013 009 (Medium).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 326
Here is mine .$38.00 shipped with all hardware included .
2013-09-2513.28.01.jpg

2013-09-2513.28.26.jpg

2013-09-2513.25.26.jpg

-
Back