• Promaxx

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 440 Source

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Stick to your 452's, and do a little work

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
-
Not to sound like I’m bragging, but A 500hp 440 built using reworked stock heads is a “no brainer”.

But not all reworked stock heads are equal.
They don’t need to be awesome for that level of performance....... but they do need to at least be “good”.

The heads should be done to a level that’s commensurate with the rest of the build.

Not to sound like I’m bragging, but A 500hp 440 built using reworked stock heads is a “no brainer”.

But not all reworked stock heads are equal.
They don’t need to be awesome for that level of performance....... but they do need to at least be “good”.

The heads should be done to a level that’s commensurate with the rest of the build.
It's not bragging at all. It's what I believe and always have. However, I just didn't want to end up in "almost as much money" in the cast as a set of low-end aluminum. I'll be doing more threads in the future on pistons and cams. I've been doing small blocks for years, so I'm trying to pick the brains of the BB guys.

not all reworked stock heads are equal.
I’ll go ahead and ask… What would it take at a minimum besides a proper valve job to make a set of 452s 500hp capable? I imagine the 2.08 intake is more than enough for the stock port size. Is it worth using the MP porting templates to the letter? Hand blend the chamber to the bore? Do you suggest smaller stem valves for extra flow?

It’s really quite obvious.......
The better the heads are, the more “off” the rest of the combo can be and still reach the goal.

On a 13:1 blueprinted short block with a really good cam and induction/exhaust, properly set up unmodified heads would get you there.

As the combo gets “worse”(smaller cam, less CR, etc), the heads need to be better.

Here’s a really mild one using a pretty short duration cam....... but really good heads:
440-Cubic-Inch Big-Block Pump-Gas Mopar Wedge Makes Over 500 HP and a Whole Lot of Torque.

The other end of the spectrum:
Another very mild 440 build.....

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1641491947486.jpg
FB_IMG_1641491941662.jpg
FB_IMG_1641491937807.jpg
FB_IMG_1641491932860.jpg

I have a customer doing a 440 now.
I told him to get some Stealths.
As of a couple weeks ago, they told him they’re a few months out.

It’s really quite obvious.......
The better the heads are, the more “off” the rest of the combo can be and still reach the goal.

On a 13:1 blueprinted short block with a really good cam and induction/exhaust, properly set up unmodified heads would get you there.

As the combo gets “worse”(smaller cam, less CR, etc), the heads need to be better.

Here’s a really mild one using a pretty short duration cam....... but really good heads:
440-Cubic-Inch Big-Block Pump-Gas Mopar Wedge Makes Over 500 HP and a Whole Lot of Torque.

The other end of the spectrum:
Another very mild 440 build.....
And this is exactly why I mentioned the stroker kit... If he had that much displacement he could probably get away with the heads that he has no problem and have a great foundation...
But this is a how do I get there on heads thread...

And this is exactly why I mentioned the stroker kit... If he had that much displacement he could probably get away with the heads that he has no problem and have a great foundation...
My buddy's 543 made 525hp/620lb-ft with stock unported 906 heads with a 240ish 540lift cam, he's ordering 270's so it should increase substantially.

For what most would be doing at the race track with a “500hp” BB build..... imo, “heads” would be a more cost effective path than a stroker kit.

For what most would be doing at the race track with a “500hp” BB build..... imo, “heads” would be a more cost effective path than a stroker kit.
In the short or long run?...

I've got the concrete head but 318 is dead set on his bragging rights for what he can get done with an old used bottom end... With a 512 stroker kit you can fart 500 horsepower LOL...
Braggin' rights??? Get outta here...... I don't overbuild to compensate for bad tuning

I say this because I'm sure you have and I know how I have spun a rod bearing drag racing... Well these engines are built well from the factory and this doesn't tend to happen where there's a will there's a way.,
And now you're back to rebuilding the bottom end anyways... Too many times I've ended up spending more money to save money...

According to the wallace calculator my old budget bracket engine made 530. 440,home ported 915s with big valves, excelorator intake, 850dp, 6-pack pistons, comp. cams 306 .555 solid cam and 1 7/8 headers. Very easy to make 500 hp. I know my heads didnt flow as well as any of the heads listed. Lots of similar combo's at the track.

Are you suggesting I have bad tuning skills?..

Or are you suggesting you have Superior tuning skills...
Don't ask a question unless you are prepared for the answer. As for me, I always think there is more. I get what I can get. But I've never built for 400 hp hoping to at least get 300.... LOL.

A properly built 440 at the 500hp level, longevity isn’t at issue.
What do you think people were doing for decades before you could get budget friendly aftermarket cranks and rods.

According to the wallace calculator my old budget bracket engine made 530. 440,home ported 915s with big valves, excelorator intake, 850dp, 6-pack pistons, comp. cams 306 .555 solid cam and 1 7/8 headers. Very easy to make 500 hp. I know my heads didnt flow as well as any of the heads listed. Lots of similar combo's at the track.
Kind of what I'm thinking. I think if I have "a little better head", and a little less cam, my HP will be there.

-
Back