E85 with a Six Pack

-

ramhemi

Reaction score
I have 70 Dart with a340 Six Pack.Can I run E85 in it?It has the MP Carbs and Fuel Pump.Will the floats hold up and the rubber parts as well?

What I`ve heard is that many of the rubber parts in the system such as fuel lines and seals may be affected by E-85. It takes more fuel in volume to achieve the same results as gasoline and because it`s 85% ethanol ,it`ll make the car run super lean. I don`t think I would risk it even with one carburetor.

You have to plan your fuelsystem and settings around the fuel. Like was said, it will be a totally different fuel curve. It isnt my cup of tea, but I would spend some time talking to people that actually did the swap to see what they had issues with.

To convert to E85 you basically need to treat it as if you were going to change a race car over to alcohol. You would need to modify your carbs which would be no big deal Holley makes alcohol stuff for 2bbl carbs. I run alcohol in a Holley 500cfm 2bbl in my sprint car. The rubber part of the fuel lines will need to be changed over to alcohol compatible rubber and your fuel pump will need to be changed. There are alcohol compatible mechanical fuel pumps available for a small block Mopar. You will need to put bigger jets in the carbs because it requires about twice as much alcohol @ 100% than it does gasoline. Holley tech should be able to help you on the jetting size to start with. On thing also to consider, there may be some Government atlernative fuel grants and tax breaks for doing the conversion because of the lower greenhouse emission gases running the E85 that might help offset the costs of the conversion.

Chuck

The whole thing sounds like a lot of work.The car runs great the way it is.If it is not broke don't fool with it right?Thanks for the info.

QUOTE=ramhemi]The whole thing sounds like a lot of work.The car runs great the way it is.If it is not broke don't fool with it right?Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

:)

-
Back