e85

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
What has to be done to a motor to run e85 I was wondering if it would benefit my motor
509 cam
Stock crank 452 heads
10 5 1 comp
I run 93 octane

nothing to the motor...it is the fuel system..

must be able to provide an additional 30% volume of fuel...that is in pump and fuel line size..

the carb will need to be modified with new metering blocks, have some one modify the carb or buy a new e85 carb... i bought an e85 quick fuel tech 950 f

was going to run my car on e85 for the first time this weekend but instead i am fixing a transmission.

http://www.raceone85.com/

http://www.classicmtrsprts.com/

http://www.proe85.com/

just google racing with e85

Slightly cooler engine temps probably.

You're not missing a lot.

If you are running full advance and 93 octane works, it would be a waste to go to E85. 30% more fuel. If you need higher octane to stay at full advance without pinging, it's a great way to go. Bigger jets, drill out metering rods, possible bleeders. It's 105 octane from the spout at $3.20 a gallon today. I just filled up with 9 gallons of 110 octane race gas at $7.99 a gallon. I have spent over $500 in race gas in 2 1/2 weeks. Guess what my next upgrade is? E85 here I come!

I went to E85 2yrs ago because I spray my engine and nitrous should have higher octane. The engine runs cooler and we have seen hp gains on the dyno by using it!

we see an average of 2 mph/.15 better performance in 1/8 mile drag racing over gasoline.It has other benefits as well,cost being the biggest.

I decided to build my current bullet with the intention of running E-85 for the following reasons.......it will support a lot of compression ( 12.85:1 ) , it is way cheaper than 110 octane and it runs significantly cooler than gasoline.
It is readily available where I hang my spurs too , so this made it an easy choice.

I decided to build my current bullet with the intention of running E-85 for the following reasons.......it will support a lot of compression ( 12.85:1 ) , it is way cheaper than 110 octane and it runs significantly cooler than gasoline.
It is readily available where I hang my spurs too , so this made it an easy choice.

Is 12.85:1 your motor compression? I ask because E85 has been shown to support engines up to 15.2:1 compression so far. I have not heard of anyone yet who has used it in an engine with more compression than that. I'm making the switch on my 15:1 motor so we'll see how that pans out.

Sorry for the confusion...yes , that is my mechanical compression.
I have heard much higher numbers , but over 14:1 I would be leery.
You are squeezing it hard enough to warrant methanol at that point anyway..........not really practical for a streeter , but it has been done.
E-85 is around 105 research octane as I understand it , and closer to 99 when averaged with the motor number.
Up to 13:1 with good quench and aluminum heads , it just makes too much sense for my deal.

Based on the octane rating, I would initially agree that over 14:1 would be pushing it. But after talking to the guys over at raceone85.com, they know of one car that has been running 6 or 7 years on a drag car with 14.7:1 compression and they have had no issues with detonation. Another car they knew of was a huge BBC motor that had 15.2:1 and ran pump E85. I understand that E85 doesn't have a real high octane rating but it really seems to resist detonation beyond what one would think it could handle. I also talked to a guy at engine connection who designed this motor in my car for the previous owner. I asked him about the fuel it needed. He said probably 112 to 114 minimum. I also asked about running E85 and he said that the car would run it. I said "even in a 15:1 motor?". He replied "yes, but tune the car for it and you'll be fine." So after talking to these people who know way more about this stuff than I do, I am very hopeful that this conversion will indeed work. Just my2 cents.

my boss ran e85 in his drag truck. it was a big block chevy with around 14 or 15:1 and he had no issues other than wanting a bigger motor to go faster :D hed still be running it if he had the money to run his truck this year lol

Based on the octane rating, I would initially agree that over 14:1 would be pushing it. But after talking to the guys over at raceone85.com, they know of one car that has been running 6 or 7 years on a drag car with 14.7:1 compression and they have had no issues with detonation. Another car they knew of was a huge BBC motor that had 15.2:1 and ran pump E85. I understand that E85 doesn't have a real high octane rating but it really seems to resist detonation beyond what one would think it could handle. I also talked to a guy at engine connection who designed this motor in my car for the previous owner. I asked him about the fuel it needed. He said probably 112 to 114 minimum. I also asked about running E85 and he said that the car would run it. I said "even in a 15:1 motor?". He replied "yes, but tune the car for it and you'll be fine." So after talking to these people who know way more about this stuff than I do, I am very hopeful that this conversion will indeed work. Just my2 cents.

It definitely resists detonation.
Pre-ignition is another issue and I would sneak up on optimum timing , but I have heard of higher compression numbers working too.
Keep us posted on how it works for you......I'm still a month or so from making laps and don't have a gasoline baseline to compare to.
But I think I am on the right track.

It definitely resists detonation.
Pre-ignition is another issue and I would sneak up on optimum timing , but I have heard of higher compression numbers working too.
Keep us posted on how it works for you......I'm still a month or so from making laps and don't have a gasoline baseline to compare to.
But I think I am on the right track.

Yes I'll definitely post up how it works out. I'd like to run gas for a while to get a feel of the car when it's all back together and then try to compare it to E85 after the swap. But I'd really just like to get it done now while I'm already rebuilding things. If I go ahead and swap now, I won't really have a baseline comparison to gas. If I swap later, I'll have to have the car put up for a few weeks probably. There's things I don't like about either option! :-({|=

i run e-85 ,hoping to have it dyno tund next week, i got help from justus @ www.raceone85.com i did the carb conversion my self. justus is great to deal with. 418 stroker ,11.8 compression, 2-660 holleys:burnout:

Attachments

• o engine.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 314
We've been running E85 in my stepson's drag car for the past 2 years. His car is 12.5:1 compression & aluminum heads. So far it's worked great! $3 a gallon instead of the $8 we used to pay for race gas! We sent his carb to Pro Systems for the converison and are running a BG 280 pump & 1/2" aluminum feed line & 3/8" return w/ a BG bypass regulator. The car runs way cooler that it used to, but uses quite a bit more. The carb used to be jetted 82/84, now it's like 105/107. Make sure you don't leave any in the tank, fuel pump or carb when storing, it makes everything stick!

-
Back