e85

-

pat d

Reaction score
anyone have any ideas or thoughts on running e85 in a 340 with iron heads and a 750 carb any gains to be had what will it take to make it work. thanks!

without internal mods you can advance timing and thats about it. E85 is BOOSTJUICE. I run 9lbs more on a turbo bike and it develops 140 extra hp (380 total at wheel from 1liter) when on e85 vs 91 octane. also a couple guys run it in hondas around here in albuquerque and are rocking 14.5-1.There is one B18A1 is running 16 to 1 but he says when it gets around 200 degrees it diesels and he has to turn it off with the clutch

from raceone85.com

Q: Why should I switch to E85?
A: E85 is a renewable fuel source that is also environmentally friendly. Its performance is comparable to race gas at a fraction of the cost. Your engine will run cooler and your ETs will be less affected by atmospheric changes. E85 is not corrosive like methanol and does not leave carbon deposits like gas so maintenance is reduced across the board. With the proper tune-up your oil stays looking like new.
Q: What is the difference in ethanol and methanol?
A: Both fuels have an excellent intake air charge cooling effect. Ethanol (grain or ethyl alcohol) is a biofuel made through the distillation of renewable resources like corn, sugar cane and switch grass. Yes, this is the same process they use to make alcoholic beverages like liquor. Fuel ethanol is 180 proof when produced. 15% regular 87 octane gasoline is added to E100 to add a little lubricant as well as ease the initial cold startup. Methanol (wood alcohol) is produced through a chemical process. By its nature methanol is more corrosive and provides 35% less energy then E85 so you have to burn 35% more of it to make comparable power. E85 cost the same or less then regular unleaded gasoline, methanol cost $4.00 - $5.00 a gallon.
Q: What type of performance can I expect from making the switch to E85?
A: It has been our experience that E85 with its 105 octane rating and high tolerance to detonation is superior to premium pump gas and equal to and in most cases better than 110 octane race gas. We picked up a tenth of a second and 2 to 3 miles per hour in the eighth mile after switching to E85 from 110 race gas and our engine runs 20 degrees cooler.
Q: Don’t I have to replace all the “rubber” in my fuel system so it want be eaten up by the alcohol in E85?
A: NO!!! We started out on this journey with a complete gasoline system. We upped the flow 30% to compensate for the lower heat energy output of ethanol and left everything else the same just to see the effects. We switched to E85 at the end of the 2006 racing season and to date we have found zero deterioration or corrosion anywhere in our fuel system. We leave it in the system all the time. We don’t drain anything between races or use any type of fuel lube.
Q: How much compression can I run with E85 fuel just the way it comes out of the pump at my local station?
A: This is one question I don't have a concrete answer for. We are running it in engines up to 14.5:1 naturally aspirated and some fairly high boost forced induction applications with great results. I have seen charts that draw the line at 16:1 but there again I just don’t have the data yet of a failure directly due to the compression limit of pump grade E85 being reached.
Q: Where can I find E85 in this area?
A: You can find E85 in any area by logging onto www.e85fuel.com and just click on your state for a list of stations that carry it.

In the Spokane area there is a whole 1 station that sells it.....i think the e85 link is no more good....

You can run higher compression with e85 because of the higher octane (110 usually) also allows for more timing like said above on a regular engine. Its cheaper and in some areas more available. But your carb has to be set up for it. They say above they flowed 30% more but they didnt specify how. Thats why in jegs and summit they sell e85 carbs because not only are the jets bigger but so are the internal passages. The above information is about as good as it gets

thanks for the quick response. now i'm excited e85 is 3.55 a gal in mia. and easy to find. race gas is 8.00 and ihave to buy it at the track.11.5cr here i come! or 12.0

Keep in mind that even though stations advertise it as E-85 it's actual Ethanol content may be less. Most E-85 carb shops sell testers real cheap that you need to use to monitor what your getting. A buddy of mine runs it in his 11.8:1 418 and it works real good with the high compression but he said the station near him has what they call E-85 but it consistanly checks out to only be 70% Ethanol. Consistancy is great so your not always changing jets to compromise but you need to know what your dealing with before you start tuning.

EDIT: My comment on the ethanol content at my buddies local station holds true any time of the year, not just winter. We know because he has tested it all year around and every time he tests it it's right close to E-70, only varying a couple percent. That may not be the case where your at but it's something you should check, not just take it for granted.

This doesn't help you but I just had to comment.
A buddy of mine runs E85 in his SRT8 Charger. He has the quickest "stock long block" charger in the country.

Get it tuned right, and E85 can make lots of power. I hear it's hard on fuel system components though.

rocket sells an e85 that is mixed with racing gas...

without internal mods you can advance timing and thats about it. E85 is BOOSTJUICE. I run 9lbs more on a turbo bike and it develops 140 extra hp (380 total at wheel from 1liter) when on e85 vs 91 octane. also a couple guys run it in hondas around here in albuquerque and are rocking 14.5-1.There is one B18A1 is running 16 to 1 but he says when it gets around 200 degrees it diesels and he has to turn it off with the clutch

from raceone85.com

Q: Why should I switch to E85?
A: E85 is a renewable fuel source that is also environmentally friendly. Its performance is comparable to race gas at a fraction of the cost. Your engine will run cooler and your ETs will be less affected by atmospheric changes. E85 is not corrosive like methanol and does not leave carbon deposits like gas so maintenance is reduced across the board. With the proper tune-up your oil stays looking like new.
Q: What is the difference in ethanol and methanol?
A: Both fuels have an excellent intake air charge cooling effect. Ethanol (grain or ethyl alcohol) is a biofuel made through the distillation of renewable resources like corn, sugar cane and switch grass. Yes, this is the same process they use to make alcoholic beverages like liquor. Fuel ethanol is 180 proof when produced. 15% regular 87 octane gasoline is added to E100 to add a little lubricant as well as ease the initial cold startup. Methanol (wood alcohol) is produced through a chemical process. By its nature methanol is more corrosive and provides 35% less energy then E85 so you have to burn 35% more of it to make comparable power. E85 cost the same or less then regular unleaded gasoline, methanol cost $4.00 - $5.00 a gallon.
Q: What type of performance can I expect from making the switch to E85?
A: It has been our experience that E85 with its 105 octane rating and high tolerance to detonation is superior to premium pump gas and equal to and in most cases better than 110 octane race gas. We picked up a tenth of a second and 2 to 3 miles per hour in the eighth mile after switching to E85 from 110 race gas and our engine runs 20 degrees cooler.
Q: Don’t I have to replace all the “rubber” in my fuel system so it want be eaten up by the alcohol in E85?
A: NO!!! We started out on this journey with a complete gasoline system. We upped the flow 30% to compensate for the lower heat energy output of ethanol and left everything else the same just to see the effects. We switched to E85 at the end of the 2006 racing season and to date we have found zero deterioration or corrosion anywhere in our fuel system. We leave it in the system all the time. We don’t drain anything between races or use any type of fuel lube.
Q: How much compression can I run with E85 fuel just the way it comes out of the pump at my local station?
A: This is one question I don't have a concrete answer for. We are running it in engines up to 14.5:1 naturally aspirated and some fairly high boost forced induction applications with great results. I have seen charts that draw the line at 16:1 but there again I just don’t have the data yet of a failure directly due to the compression limit of pump grade E85 being reached.
Q: Where can I find E85 in this area?
A: You can find E85 in any area by logging onto www.e85fuel.com and just click on your state for a list of stations that carry it.

Lets see this bike... I have had two Hayabusa's.....One made 317 at the wheel on 6lbs and the other made 491 at the wheel with 14lbs... Always love seeing a turbo bike..

Buy E98 and mix it yourself. Then you know that you're getting the correct amount of ethanol every time.

Lets see this bike... I have had two Hayabusa's.....One made 317 at the wheel on 6lbs and the other made 491 at the wheel with 14lbs... Always love seeing a turbo bike..

1997 triumph speed triple. ya the turbo bikes are addictive once you have one its hard to have anything else race vehicle wise

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 742
I have been running E85 for two years now with a 11.7:1 360 with a .509 hyd. cam and J heads that have been worked over a little. The fuel switch alone was worth .25 and 4 mph in the quarter. Current setup run between 11.28 and 11.32 almost all the time in a 75 dart sport. http://www.horsepowerinnovations.com did my carb. Eric is very good at building these carbs and stands behind his work. I just buy fuel from the gas station a barrel at a time and keep it sealed and off the concrete floor, it stays consistent.

I buy e-98 buy the drum for 2.50 ish a gallon and mix it with super unleaded. That way always the same mixture everytime. E-85 itself won't automatically make you faster but with higher octane rating (e-85 is 105) can advance timing more plus intake charge is cooler. If you building up engine can easy handle much more compression(12.5/1 on mine). Boosted cars really love e-85 due to the cooler temps. Carb does need to be made to run it as it takes alot more fuel.

As far as rocket selling e85 the octane level is higher since it is mixed with race gas but it also $6+ a gallon.

Troy

Saw the thread,cool info.Inside this month's Car Crapft,Quick Fuel Technologies introduced a percentage tester.

thanks guys the info is great kx35 what is ur motor/trans/gear/tire set up.i have a 340 .30over 11.5comp j heads 2.08 in 1.60ex 528 purple shaft i was running7.8 in the 1/8th.i was hoping to get a little edge over the other guys before going to a stroker

This is cool info. Making me interested too. How much cooler could I expect the engine to run, compared to 91 pump gas? Here, during this time of year it's over 100 degrees at 9PM, so very hard for me to keep my car cool. I'm running a 9:1 360 (380 HP Mopar Perf shortblock). I cool down to 150 in the pits, but by the time I drive back to staging and do burnout, it's about 175- 180. 200 at end of pass. Could I get about a 20 degree drop?

OK, those of you that are running E85, how much has your engine temp lowered from when you were running on gas?

That's not really a fair question, with E85 your water temp needs to be 170 when you stage, E85 turns to vapor at 172 degrees where gas turns to vapor at 68 degrees. We had some hot weather this summer over 100 one race day and I stage at 170 and come back to my pit and I was never over 185 and it cools back down to 170 within 5-7 minutes. When it's cool out you could run round robin as long as your tranny is up to it. Last weekend it was 70 degrees out and I staged at 170 and got back to the pits at 170

This is cool info. Making me interested too. How much cooler could I expect the engine to run, compared to 91 pump gas? Here, during this time of year it's over 100 degrees at 9PM, so very hard for me to keep my car cool. I'm running a 9:1 360 (380 HP Mopar Perf shortblock). I cool down to 150 in the pits, but by the time I drive back to staging and do burnout, it's about 175- 180. 200 at end of pass. Could I get about a 20 degree drop?

E85 wouldn't be a good choice for your compression.

there are alot of new cars make for flex fuel...gas or e85...and they are low compression...

-
Back