E85

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Lets say I put an e85 setup on a V6. If I were to do that, can I run regular gas in as well or do I have to run strictly e85?

Want to run both, easily, go EFI. e85 requires somewhere in the area of 20% more volume than gas, so the carb needs to be set up accordingly.....

Your car runs on Regular?

Putting E85 on some low compression small block will just cost you money without getting anything in return.

Your car runs on Regular?

Putting E85 on some low compression small block will just cost you money without getting anything in return.

It will actually be for a Chevy V6 sometime in the future, not really the near future. I'm just doing a bit of homework ahead of time. I know, thems cuss words.

With EFI, providing you have big enough injectors, going from gas to e85 is just a matter of a few key strokes.

Borrowed from http://fastmanefi.com/main.htm

E85 is an alcohol fuel mixture that’s basically a mix of 85% ethanol and gasoline by volume. It’s widely used in Sweden and is becoming increasingly common in the United States where, lets face it, we grow a lot of corn. E85 has an octane rating of 100 - 105. It runs much cooler and it can be used in higher compression engines. Ideally the engine should be designed with a higher compression ratio to take maximum advantage.

The fuel energy for E85 is less than gasoline so you use more of it per mile. Therefore, E85 normally gets less MPG in engines that have lower compression ratios and if the engine isn't retuned for it. But it also costs less! As I write this, Gasoline is over $4 a gallon and E85 is $3.10.

Retuning a carbureted engine to run efficiently on E85 is hard to do and fairly expensive. The carburetor must be replaced with one that's been rejetted for E85. Not doing this will result in a lean condition which could damage your engine. The distributor should also be recurved.

The procedure for running E85 with EFI is easy, as long as the EFI system has the ability to adjust for the different FEC (Fuel Energy Constant) and the fuel injectors are large enough to handle the extra flow where the A/F ratios are different. Notice that E85 has an energy constant of .68 and likes A/F ratios in the 10:1 area. To handle the extra fuel that 10:1 requires, the injectors would have to be 30% larger than for gasoline. So you install the larger injectors to start with, and tune the engine on gasoline, then save that program as program #1. Then to tune for E85, check the box for Fuel Flex Mode, and you change the FEC value to .680. Assuming this engine was already tuned on gasoline, that’s all you have to do. Store this as a second program that is selected by a switch under the dash, and you can switch between gasoline and E85 while on the road.
You should also advance the timing under full power and cruise conditions. I start by bumping the timing by about 5 degrees. This takes advantage of that 105 octane! Each engine is a little different but that’s a good starting point.

Thanks ink! I obviously still have a lot of homework to do, but it sounds like the tbi will be easier to run E85 than a carb

Thanks ink! I obviously still have a lot of homework to do, but it sounds like the tbi will be easier to run E85 than a carb
Only if the tbi allows you to change injectors and make the necessary software tweaks. You went tpi with MegaSquirt, FAST etc. might be better off.....

Only if the tbi allows you to change injectors and make the necessary software tweaks. You went tpi with MegaSquirt, FAST etc. might be better off.....

Whether or not I can get a tpi setup for a 4.3 Chevy idk...

E85 has a different stoichometric air fuel ratio than gasoline's 14.7 to 1 Ratio. The stoichometric air fuel ratio for E85 (at 85% Ethanol) is 9.76 to 1 Ratio.
So you basically need fuel injectors capable of spraying 34 percent more.....

E85 has a different stoichometric air fuel ratio than gasoline's 14.7 to 1 Ratio. The stoichometric air fuel ratio for E85 (at 85% Ethanol) is 9.76 to 1 Ratio.
So you basically need fuel injectors capable of spraying 34 percent more.....

I wonder if 350 tbi assy would do that? Imma do some digging on that

Ok. Well, apparently a 350 injector assy. Dumps too much fuel even running e85

Lot cheaper ways to do things if youre on a budget. Power and economy out of a v6, Pirate a turbo oem setup

Lot cheaper ways to do things if youre on a budget. Power and economy out of a v6, Pirate a turbo oem setup

That's been on my mind too! I've read that people get really impressive numbers with boost and e85! Nelson racing built a boosted 4.3 a couple years ago that ran on e85. That beast made over 1k HP!
<br/><br/>[ame="http://youtu.be/Q5ej6SPKk3w"]302 Found[/ame]

-
Back